FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Hxoxoxoxoxo

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So basically, I've had my tank set up for nearly a year now, and It's been fine for a long time. Recently (about 2 months ago) I noticed that the Nitrate levels were increasing, I increased the number of water changes to twice a week. Now I didn't take a lot of water out the second water change, for example I'd take out 50% on a Sunday, and then on a Wednesday I'd take out 20%. Then the following Sunday 50% and so on...

Now my nitrate levels are 100+ and I'm losing fish!!! I've increased water changes to nearly every other day now, and I just don't see a difference. I went to my LFS and they advised me to get a new test kit, assuming my other was faulty. I did so and I get the same results. I don't know what to do!

I feed my fish twice a day, Once in the morning and once at night. I feed as much as they can eat in 30 seconds. Not sure if I should back down on feeding, not that I haven't tried that.

I have a 110 litre tank, with a full external filtration system, with UV light.

The fishes I have are:-
2 Bala Sharks
3 Emperor Tetras
2 Glow-light Tetras
1 Neon Tetra
1 Emperor Tetra
1 Sucker Fish
1 Leopard Danio
About 100+ Malaysian Trumpet Snails (I want to get rid!!!!)
1 Fantail Goldfish*
1 Lion Head Goldfish*

* These goldfish are in here as the LFS I got them from had them in a 25oC tank, therefore I was told they're okay to go in my 26oC tank.

I also have 3 live plants in there, which are all growing, and doing well, I have a minor algae problem, but nothing that isn't controllable. 

The levels I get when I test are as follows:
pH - 7/7.5
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - <0.3
Nitrate - 100+

I added some NitrateMinus by Tetra two nights ago, and so far nothing... I'm tired of all this. I can't go on any longer. I don't even have a lot of time for maintenance as I am studying, but I do as much as I can. I love my fish, and I'd like to keep them. I don't want to harm them.

Please someone HELP!!! I'm going to be taking my water to the store to be tested, and see what they say, but I need some help! Honestly after 2 months of trying everything, I'm truly out of options.

Thanks for your help.

hi ... you sound stressed and I don't blame you - this fish keeping business can be hard work when it's all going wrong. 

A couple of things jump out that will help:

1. - check to see if there's any nitrate in the tap water - it may be that there's small traces and by upping your water changes your adding it back.

2 - add some more live plants. 3 is not enough to take up the nitrate. The more plants you have the more nitrate they will use up and the lower your reading.

Are you adding any plant ferts? If so does it contain Nitrate? most do and this could be the cause

On a side note I can't not say something about those bala sharks. A 110 litre tank is not acceptable for this kind of fish. Not only do they grow very big but they are also very active and need a lot of space to move around. I wouldn't recommend putting bala sharks in a tank below 6ft long. If you arn't planning on upgrading your tank to a tank of this size I'd recommend re-homing the sharks. If they remain in such confined conditions they will become stunted and will die young

Your nitrate is extremely high, and it's because you're shockingly overstocked. Luckily for you, you can fix these issues quite quickly. And I guarantee as you fix the stocking problem, your nitrites will go down as well.

The Bala Sharks need to be rehomed, no questions asked. They can grow to 30cm long and require larger groups along with a 6ft tank at the very least.

The Tetras need to be in schools. They are probably quite stressed out, especially the lone Neon Tetra. Please rehome most of the species, and keep a large school of one fish. Trust me, an aquarium looks much better when you have more of a single species rather than a mix of everything. And it's not good for the fish that need to be in groups. Since you have 4 Emperor Tetras I would recommend rehoming the others and getting more of them. Their behaviour will improve, they will be less stressed and more interesting to watch as well. This goes for the Leopard Danio as well. You could have two small groups of Emperors and Danios but at the very least 5 for both.

Could you find out what sucker fish it is? Pleco? Oto? 

A decent way to control the MTS population is to get an assassin snail and also just fish some out every time you do a W/C. Unfortunately they are very hard to get rid of, but you can control their population to some degree.

Now to the goldfish. They both need to go. By keeping them in 26c water, you are shortening their life span. More importantly, they need a larger tank to grow and thrive. 

Ultimately, any product you buy from the LFS will not help you. You need to solve this by rehoming most of the fish. If you don't want to bring them to the LFS, try Gumtree perhaps. And I would also advise not to take the advice they give you at the LFS very seriously, at the end of the day they are there to sell you goods. They won't tell you how to properly cycle, or that a fish isn't compatible, because they can sell you non-sense when you come in asking why your tank has issues. It's easy to make these kind of mistakes, believe me. But it can be fixed. 

Good luck!

I'm inclined to agree in all that you've said 508 - I just didn't want to over-whelm the OP when it's clear he's stressed.

The stocking needs serious work. The emperor's will do better in a group of around 10, as will the neons and glow-lights but increasing the numbers will make this tank even more over-stocked

I think you should research each of your fishes' needs - tank size, tank mates, care, etc. and improve the stock of your tank. Add some more live plants but only if you are going to maintain them - rotting plant leaves can decrease water quality. You also shouldn't be having to do that many water changes on a year old tank.

I completely agree with most all that has been posted by others.  This is a major problem that will not just keep going on but take its toll on the fish very soon, so extreme action is needed to re-home fish.

I would not get rid of the snails, they are actually helping you out a bit.  They are numerous because of all the organics (fish excrement) which they eat, along with some algae.  Goldfish for one thing are very heavy on the bioload.

Reducing the food to once a day and not twice will also help.  Fish (except for growing fry) do not need so much food, and what goes in must come out, so you are doubling the organics just by feeding twice a day instead of once, and that is significant here.

I could comment on the plant/nitrate issue but I won't as it would only add to the confusion and the first thing is to reduce the fish load.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back