Newts or salamanders

Jessie J.

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi everyone. When we were little me and my brother dug a big hole in clay dirt in our yard. Every year, sometimes three times per year, the hole fills up with rainwater and runoff and is home to crayfish (wild white creek crays) and bullfrogs; sometimes water bugs and once I found a huge red fish in there (it was alive but later passed away). But this year I found little gilled creatures that look like tadpoles except for the large fans sticking out of their heads like an axolotl. They have slightly mottled bellies like salamanders but, are they sallies, mud puppies/water dogs (I don't know if these are the same things), or newts? I live in zone 7 and the pond dries and/or freezes over every year. I can probably get some pics tomorrow, if needed. So I do have some Q's;

1. What are they, exactly?
  2. What do they eat? (mine still have their yolk sacs so I have a little time before I feed them)
  3. Do they need a filter in their bowl? The pond they lived in had no surface agitation and no filter.
  4. How big do they get and what size terrarium do they need?
  5. How long does it take for them to get big/metamorph?
  6. Can I keep them with hermies (I didn't think so.)
  7. Can I keep them with hermies in a divided tank (55-gallon for four crabbies) or would some kind of toxin soak into the substrate?

Thank you so much for your help!
EDIT: I have seen salamanders near there before but if they were baby newts wouldn't there be some in the pond still since they're mostly aquatic?

Pictures are required.
Where you found them, eg what country/ state.
What are hermies?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back