Newly Scaped Tank- Dying Fish- Urgent Advice Needed!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Carp4U

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a 9 gallon tank, i previously had goldfish in it but they died so put in a heater. It was left for a few days. From my other tropical 15gallon, i had a golden chinese algae eater and a kribensis who were causing trouble in the tank. So, i decided to put them in. They were fine, after a few days, today in fact, i bought some wood and new gravel for the tank.
I removed some water, pulled out all of the ornaments/plants and half the gravel except i left the fish in there because i had nowhere to put them. Then i put in the new gravel (rinsed it), and added all of the new ornaments and plants (the plants had been in previously). I put in some water to replace what i took out. I also put an airstone in after. A few hours later, the krib and algae eater look really ill, the krib lies on the bottom with rapid gill movements and has an inbalance and his tail looks a bit still. The algae eater also seems to have a bit of an unbalance and is on the bottom.

I know i've made a lot of mistakes, i don't have any water stats available, what action can i take to save the fish urgently?

Many Thanks

Have you put water conditioner in with all of this water?
And what filter do you have in the tank? Does it have any new media or anything?

Yes, added Aquasafe to the water i added, it's just a small filter and not added or changed the media.

Well if it's not chlorine then... it's more than likely ammonia.
Another water change, although will remove some good bacteria, will lower ammonia levels.

Without a test kit it's really hard to say..
I'm going to guess it's alot to do with changing the gravel. Gravel has a HUGE surface area for good bacteria to grow on.
I just changed from gravel to sand and have had an ammonia spike :( so am just doing my best to keep an eye on things and make sure everyone is ok.

However it might not be ammonia, it could simply be that a huge water change has caused the fish to go into a state of shock. Like if you just drop them in the tank after buying at your lfs. Tap water is very different to tank water...they need time to acclimatise.

Which is why I say a test kit would be so useful.
If it's a ammonia a water change would help things.
If they're in shock at the water altering so drastically then a water change would cause more problems.

Too late, they were both dead this morning. I ABSOLUTELY HATE MYSELF FOR WHAT I DID!

Most reactions

Back