Newbies 1st tanks pic!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Gazman

Reaction score
Comments, critisisms and praises appreciated! This is the first tank i have ever set up. Thoughts? Thanks!

Picture525.jpg

that is the exact same tank as ive got,that is a 20 gal isnt it?
i bought mine for 120 pounds
your tank looks good i was going to have wood in mine but the price is offputting.

what fish do you have in there?

Thank you! I believe my tank is 14 gal (60 x 35 x 30 cm)

The fish i have are:

2 Golden Gouramis
2 3 spotted Gouramis
2 Rosy Barbs
2 Kribensis
2 Algae eaters
1 Red-Tailed Black Shark
1 Head&Taillight Tetra
3 Neon Tetras

I was jubious about the cost of wood at 1st, but then i found the piece in the tank with live weed already on it. £25, but i think it was worth it. The only bit im not sure about is the slate at the back on the left. The idea was just to create a hiding place but im not sure it looks right.

very nice

just a note, you are greatly over stocked for a 14G tank, how long have you had it?

Gazman said:
Really, you think? There are 15 fish in there. Tanks is 60 x 35 x 30 cm.
:) Beautiful tank! I like it!

I do think the tank is over stocked, but all you would need to do is remove the RTBS and a apir of gouramis. The tank is too small for too many fish.

Stocking is not only based on the amount of fish, yuo also have to consider compatibility, future size of your fish, recquirments for food and water, and amount of waste produced. Id recomned you read up about stocking by reading TFF's pinned topics in the newbie section. ( I think thats where they are)

Love the nice plants though, and goodluck in the future! :thumbs:

mr_miagi32 said:
I do think the tank is over stocked, but all you would need to do is remove the RTBS and a apir of gouramis. The tank is too small for too many fish.
I disagree sorry miagi.

I would take back....

....all four of your existing Gouramis. These are all of the same breed but just different colour morphs. They will grow to around 4" - 6". (Replace these with maybe three DWARF Gouramis, 1 male - 2 females)

....your 2 Kribs. Kribs are territorial at the best of times but if they breed the rest of your fishes lives will be in danger because they can be nasty buggers. The fact they are stuck in a 14 gallon tank will only increase their aggression.

....Your Algae Eaters. If these are CAE (Chinese Algae Eaters) they can each grow to over a 1ft long and as they grow they too become nasty swines that will stop eating algae and start sucking on the slime coats of your other fish.

....Your RTBS. Again grows large and your tank is much too small.

Barbs are notorious fin nippers. They will pester and stress your gouramis to death if you do not increase their numbers. I would add another three or four and they will keep their fin nipping and pestering between themselves.

Your Tetras would also prefer to be in schools. I would add 3-4 Head & Tail lights and 2-3 Neons.

So, this would leave you with: -

3 Dwarf Gourami
5-6 barbs
4-5 Head & Tail
5-6 Neons.

This is still in reality overstocked but the bio-load of the tetras is minimal and as long as you have good filtration you should be okay.

I am really sorry. I don't mean to "slam" your tank but I hope the info helps.

steve

Not at all mate, i appreciate your comments! :cool:

So far i have not seen any signs of conflict. The Rosy Barbs just keep to themself, as do all the rest. ;)

That is a very nice tank for a first go. A million times better than my first tank!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you don't have a background. Maybe consider a plain black or blue background?

As for your fish, I don't have much experience with most of them, but a RTBS is too big for a 14 gallon tank. Not only is it size, but these sharks can be very territorial and might chase your other fish around.

Thanks!! :D

There is a background there mate, but its a scenic one. Do you rekon a black/blue one would look better??

Gazman said:
Thanks!! :D

There is a background there mate, but its a scenic one. Do you rekon a black/blue one would look better??
definitely!

it makes the actual contents of your tank more vivid.

steve

LOL bald ranger, no need to apologise! :) I gave my qoute you gave yours! :) And i was being generous, so probably should have said take out the kribs.

So do u know which algae eater you have? Whether it is the chinese algae eater (CAE) or the siamese flying fox (SAE).

An SAE should have the following....

- The black stripe along the fishes body should run from the snout or nose of the fish through the entire tail. And it should have serated edges.
-Fins are clear, with no other colours.
-Thin barbels are present, two, on the front of the mouth.
-Scales have a thin black edge.

Gazman said:
Thank you!! Blue or black, what do you's prefer/think looks better?
Nearly all the LFS's I know sell the background paper that actually has blue on one side and black on the other :nod: !

You get both colours for the price of one and you can decide which one you prefer! :thumbs:

steve

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back