Newbie here

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Subbuteo

Reaction score
Hi dudes and dudet's and any aliens out there that love fish lol
I'm William from Glasgow in Bonnie Scotland in the UK
Got a fluval 46 litre with one cold water goldfish
Also just purchased a 2nd 46 fluval as I just love the look of the tank.
I've been watching pecktec on you tube lately and love them orange fish ? Edinbura's ?? I would love to have them in a tank.

Anyway expect to see me asking stupid questions very soon lol

All the best xxxx

Welcome, William! And as a very wise person once told me, "the only stupid question is the unasked one." :)

Welcome to the forum, William :)

I do hope one of your questions is going to be, "Is my tank big enough for a goldfish?" because I'm afraid the answer is, "No, it's not". Fancy goldfish (fantails, black moors, orandas) need a tank of at least 100l, while 'normals' really need a pond, unless you happen to have room for a six foot long tank!

Well Fluttermoth thanks for the welcome.
Due to your comment I feel this forum is not for me. I will search for something more friendly.

please consider me as left the building

xxxxx Thanks for the fun times !!

Due to your comment I feel this forum is not for me. I will search for something more friendly.

I'm really sorry my comment didn't come over as friendly as it was meant to be. I can only apologise, and say that I had no intention of coming across as unwelcoming.

Would it have been better set let you settle in and feel more at home before I highlighted the issue with your goldie?

Maybe so, but sometimes people appear here to say hello and don't ever post again. And if I hadn't commented, after you'd mentioned it, maybe you wouldn't have even realised there was an issue?

Many, many people (most people, in fact) have no idea of how large goldfish grow, or how large a tank they need to live long, happy, healthy lives, and if we don't get the information out there by telling people, how will things ever improve?

I spend time here, of course, to help people, but also to help their fish; I want everyone's pets to live long, happy, healthy lives; even someone else's goldfish!

I promise, I do try really, really hard to word things kindly and not upset people or hurt their feelings, I really do, but I also feel I have a responsibility; primarily as an aquarist, but also as a moderator of the forum, to promote best practice and speak up when I see or hear of fish being kept in less than ideal conditions, and try to educate and inform.

Please do accept my sincerest apologies, and I do hope you'll reconsider your position with the forum; most people here are genuinely lovely, they really are.

That's a rather abrupt decision. You came seemingly to learn about fishkeeping and how to do it best. Well, the unfortunate reality is that you have fallen prey to the classic fish trap. We've all seen the goldfish in the tiny bowl in tv shows, in cartoons, etc. The reality is that that is one of the worst setups for any fish possible.

Depending on which goldfish species you have, this fish could (or more exactly should) grow to over a foot (up to 18 inches) in length and should live for over a decade (up to about 18 years) if kept properly.

You will have to forgive flutter, as she keeps goldfish, and wants what is best for the fish.

http://www.fishforums.net/threads/goldfish-for-beginners.417799/

Absolute ridicules comments from obviously power hungry idiots that believe every word that comes out their mouth is FACT
Give someone a mod title and before you know it there telling you black is white.

What gives you the right to say my leaving is "rather abrupt decision"
Then you say fish trap !! when I bought my one goldfish I was advised by the shop pets at home, to only have one goldfish you also don't have a clue if I told them I had a pond !! or was planning a pond ,but your mind was made up.

there is a lady called solid gold Aquatics on you tube who has a very large goldfish in a tiny fluval 24 litre tank who has loads of goldfish and also loves goldfish. on you tube she is held in high regard for looking after her fish and other pets.

As a new member I came to make friends and search for help not blatant orders and demeaning comments like you must do this you must do that ,you must resist setting up a fish tank as your over crowding the poor fish.

From watching pecktec / the king of DIY and Aquarium Co-Op on you tube before buying my fluval tank,they all talk about fish and everyone says keeping fish is not the same for other fish keepers due to set up where they are kept and different ph. levels in different parts of the world and other things aside.

Not one of these people say fish keeping is an exact science and it's all about learning about your fish's environment and if you think they are happy or not.

You (£$%^&") have made me very angry . on saying hello I'm a newbie the best response I got was docpark and as for fluttermouth's comment " sometimes people appear here to say hello and don't ever post again" NO WONDER !!

Both these people are a disgrace both fluttermouth and eaglesaquarium both do nothing for the hobby of fish keeping with there attitude it must be this, you must do that, and jumping on a post by a newbie who was just trying to have a back up for his fish and tank if things went wrong.

I think both of you likely have a great knowledge of fish but your pompous spiel just makes me want to find a nice friendly forum and I'm sure I will and I'll look forward to keeping fish.

But my abrupt decision to leave this forum is going to be the best decision I've ever made.

I wish everyone well

xxxxxxxxxx

no regrets !! and thanks Docpark for being a human being

Well, Subbuteo, mate, that was... unexpected.

I hope you will, at some point return. If not, then so be it, but I feel I have to refute some of your points for the benefit of anyone else who happens to be reading the thread.

Absolute ridicules comments from obviously power hungry idiots that believe every word that comes out their mouth is FACT
Give someone a mod title and before you know it there telling you black is white.

I'm not going to spend long on this part. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but I am in no way 'power hungry'. I didn't even ask or volunteer to be a mod; I was invited when the forum was in dire need of some extra moderators, and I said I'd be happy to help. I am very, very careful to never put my own opinions forward as facts.

I actually take my modding responsibilities very seriously, and I'm very cross with myself that I have failed both you, Subbuteo, and the forum, in welcoming a new member. Be assured, I will keep the issues that have arisen here when posting in the future, and will be more careful that nothing like this happens again.

I will just point out that neither Eagles nor I made any kind of personal attack on you; we did nothing more than try and let you know that, as with many newcomers to the hobby, you've fallen for some less than excellent advice.

What gives you the right to say my leaving is "rather abrupt decision"
Then you say fish trap !! when I bought my one goldfish I was advised by the shop pets at home, to only have one goldfish you also don't have a clue if I told them I had a pond !! or was planning a pond ,but your mind was made up.

there is a lady called solid gold Aquatics on you tube who has a very large goldfish in a tiny fluval 24 litre tank who has loads of goldfish and also loves goldfish. on you tube she is held in high regard for looking after her fish and other pets.

Unfortunately, there is both good and bad advice. Pets@Home are notorious amongst experienced fishkeepers for the poorness of their advice. YouTube is one of the worst places online to learn about fishkeeping. Yes, there are some great people out there, but there are also some pretty bad ones too.

How are you, as a newcomer supposed to be able to tell? Well, obviously you can't. But when some more experienced fishkeepers, like Eagles and I, come along and tell you that those YouTubers are wrong, what's your response? Did you ask us why the YouTubers are wrong? Did you ask us what evidence for those YouTubers being wrong is? No, you just decide; even though you've admitted that you're a newcomer to the hobby, they those people are right and we must be wrong! Pot, meet kettle ;)

As a new member I came to make friends and search for help not blatant orders and demeaning comments like you must do this you must do that ,you must resist setting up a fish tank as your over crowding the poor fish.

I never gave you any 'orders', or made any demeaning comments. I would never, never, do such a thing, never. It's your goldfish, your responsibility. No-one from the forum is going to come round to your house and forcibly remove it. All I was doing was passing on the best, most generally accepted advice with regards goldfish tank size. It was, and still is, entirely between you and your conscience as to what steps you might decide to take in the light of this new information.

From watching pecktec / the king of DIY and Aquarium Co-Op on you tube before buying my fluval tank,they all talk about fish and everyone says keeping fish is not the same for other fish keepers due to set up where they are kept and different ph. levels in different parts of the world and other things aside.

Gosh, do they!? They've mentioned 'ph.' as well as 'other things'? They must know what they're talking about, far more than I do then. You'd have thought they might know that the abbreviation is 'pH', if they're so knowledgeable, wouldn't you? but I guess having good language and comprehension skills are completely irrelevant to scientific understanding, aren't they? Of course they are.

Not one of these people say fish keeping is an exact science and it's all about learning about your fish's environment and if you think they are happy or not.

It is true that many aspects of fishkeeping are more art than science. However, there are a few things that are NOT just a matter of opinion. The suitability of goldfish for small tanks is one of those things. Yes, you will be able to find people who will tell you that a goldie is fine in 20l; but there are also people online who think the earth is flat! Learning who's opinion is worth listening to is something we all have to decide for ourselves; personally, I need more evidence before I decide what's right or wrong than some people on YouTube.

Here are just a few links to some, generally well respected authorities, on tank size for goldfish;

The RSPCA; https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/pets/fish/environment (at least 60 litres)

Practical Fishkeeping; www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/articles/what-do-i-need-for-goldfish?rq=goldfish%20tank (36" minimum length recommended)

FishkeepingUK; http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_74/goldfish-size-life-expectancy.htm (140l for a single fish, 36" minimum length)

The Goldfish Tank; http://thegoldfishtank.com/goldfish-care/tank/do-goldfish-need-a-big-tank/ (three feet/20 gallons for a single fancy)

INJAF (it's Not Just A Fish); http://thegoldfishtank.com/goldfish-care/tank/do-goldfish-need-a-big-tank/ (they go even further than I do, and say even a 100l/three foot tank is not big enough)

TFH (Tropical Fish Hobbyist); http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/goldfish-myths-debunked.htm (20 gallons)

You (£$%^&") have made me very angry . on saying hello I'm a newbie the best response I got was docpark and as for fluttermouth's comment " sometimes people appear here to say hello and don't ever post again" NO WONDER !!

Both these people are a disgrace both fluttermouth and eaglesaquarium both do nothing for the hobby of fish keeping with there attitude it must be this, you must do that, and jumping on a post by a newbie who was just trying to have a back up for his fish and tank if things went wrong.

I'm not even angry; I'm sad. You can insult me all you like, tbh, that's neither here nor there, but I never said anything like "you must do this". All I did was pass on some information in what I, mistakenly, thought was a friendly and welcoming manner. We all know that tone comes over very poorly online; I have already apologised for coming across as unfriendly, and that it wasn't intended, what else am I supposed to do?

I think both of you likely have a great knowledge of fish but your pompous spiel just makes me want to find a nice friendly forum and I'm sure I will and I'll look forward to keeping fish.

But my abrupt decision to leave this forum is going to be the best decision I've ever made.

I wish everyone well

xxxxxxxxxx

no regrets !! and thanks Docpark for being a human being

I can assure you, I am a very, very long way from pompous. Really. But then, you've already made up your mind that I'm a rude, power-crazed, pompous, individual with a bad attitude, haven't you? I would, just politely, suggest you have a read through of the whole thread, and have an objective think about who's making the rudest, self-defensive, opinionated posts around here...

(Okay, I admit that last paragraph is a bit self serving. Hey, guess what; I'm actually a human being with feelings too! Who'd have thought it!?)

I believe the last post by the OP was directed at me, fluttermoth.

I believe he took offense when I used the word 'abrupt'. Of course, abrupt is defined as 'sudden and unexpected'... I thought that was an appropriate word, because it was a sudden decision, and from my perspective... unexpected.

To the OP: Apologies for offending you. That was not the intent. The intent was to inform you of proper fishkeeping protocols for goldfish. If you leave here, never to return, that's well within your right to do. But, for the sake of the fish in your charge... do the research (and by that I mean to use multiple sources and look for species specific information) and then do what's right for the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back