Newbie after help and tips

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Strippdogg

Reaction score
Hi all,

Matt here......

I'm sure you've heard this a million times before but, i'm new to the game and ideally i'm wanting tips on starting a new tropical aqauruim for me and the kids to have an intrest in and bond over.

But also tropical fish are amazing to watch and very intresting.

Hope you can find time to help me on my way.....

I have nothing as of yet, wanting something just over beginers standards please

Hi there, Matt, welcome to the forum :)

First tip; go for a larger tank rather than smaller. Small tanks are actually harder to look after, as the water parameters can swing so wildly, and they are very limiting when it comes to choice of suitable fish.

Second tip; read up on fishless cycling. This is, by far, the best and most reliable way of getting your tank ready to house fish happily and healthily :)

Third tip; find out about the pH and hardness of your local water (you can find this information on on your supplier's website) before you set your heart on any particular fish. Whilst some soft water fish can adapt to harder water, most can't, and hard water fish tend to do very poorly in soft water. It's best to choose fish that will thrive in the water you have.

Hi there, Matt, welcome to the forum :)

First tip; go for a larger tank rather than smaller. Small tanks are actually harder to look after, as the water parameters can swing so wildly, and they are very limiting when it comes to choice of suitable fish.

Second tip; read up on fishless cycling. This is, by far, the best and most reliable way of getting your tank ready to house fish happily and healthily :)

Third tip; find out about the pH and hardness of your local water (you can find this information on on your supplier's website) before you set your heart on any particular fish. Whilst some soft water fish can adapt to harder water, most can't, and hard water fish tend to do very poorly in soft water. It's best to choose fish that will thrive in the water you have.

Thnaks you very much, quite giddy about starting up but want to make sure i've got all my research done before splashing any cash.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Go to a few pet shops and look at their fish. Take a pen and paper with you and write down some fish and plants that you like. Then post the details on here and we can go thru them and say this goes with that, etc.

And don't just settle with common freshwater fishes like guppies and neons, look at the marine tanks too. Marine tanks are not much different to freshwater and they have all sorts of weird things that can live in them ranging from starfish, crabs, corals, sea anemones, clownfish like Nemo, and huge range of shrimp and snails.

While you're at the pet shops, check out their tanks too. As mentioned by Fluttermoth, when it comes to tanks, bigger is better. Write down some of the tanks you like and post them on here. Then maybe check Ebay, Gumtree & Craig's List for possible second hand tanks and equipment.

You can also visit your public library and borrow a few fish books. Have a read thru them and look at the pictures. Get ideas of what you want and let us know and we can guide you thru it. :)

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Go to a few pet shops and look at their fish. Take a pen and paper with you and write down some fish and plants that you like. Then post the details on here and we can go thru them and say this goes with that, etc.

And don't just settle with common freshwater fishes like guppies and neons, look at the marine tanks too. Marine tanks are not much different to freshwater and they have all sorts of weird things that can live in them ranging from starfish, crabs, corals, sea anemones, clownfish like Nemo, and huge range of shrimp and snails.

While you're at the pet shops, check out their tanks too. As mentioned by Fluttermoth, when it comes to tanks, bigger is better. Write down some of the tanks you like and post them on here. Then maybe check Ebay, Gumtree & Craig's List for possible second hand tanks and equipment.

You can also visit your public library and borrow a few fish books. Have a read thru them and look at the pictures. Get ideas of what you want and let us know and we can guide you thru it. :)

Good idea, will go to some pet shops tomorrow and have a nosey.

Hoping the kids are with me trough start to finish and the enjoy it as much as i do.

Welcome and good luck :)

Here's and old video showing our first tank set-up
I hope it help give you some ideas

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back