New used Tank need help

Tankman88

Reaction score
Hey guys so I got a used 50 gal tank that someone gave me. It comes with all basic stuff like filter, heater, fake plants, etc. Iā€™m going to be putting real plants and make it look more natural...I will also be placing a Co2 unit and a few other odds and ends. My only issue is Iā€™m not used to the types of fish, other critters it came with, but to the best of my knowledge the types of fish that came with it are...NOT very compatable. First off their is an Axolotle in there, and a Bichir fish. They are my main concerns. Other than that there are 2 Electric Blue rams, 1 Neon ( had 3 but I think Axolotle are them ), 1 dwarf gourami, 1 male bristle nose pleco, 2 juli Cory catā€™s, 2 female betas , 1 Bala shark, and and 9 other species of tetra of which Iā€™m not sure of species. To my knowledge this tank is NOT a long term option. My question is how long can I get away with leaving it like this. Iā€™m aware I need to move a few to a separate tank.

Last edited:
Here is a few pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    838.6 KB · Views: 99
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 122
The bichir and bala shark will treat anything that fits in their mouth as food. They also get way too big. AFAIK the Axolotle does not cope well with temps required for tropical fish. Sounds pretty urgent to me.

First of, you are going to need to do ALOT of re homing.

I do not know what type of Bichir you have, but these grow very large and should be kept in a large, aggressive tank. The more common ones come from Lake Tanganyika. It has very hard water which most fish can not tolerate. Any variety of Ram cichlid should be kept in softer water with high temperatures (80- 84 F). In this case the Axolotle cant tolerate the high temperatures and the Bichir cant tolerate the low pH and the high temperatures. Bettas should be on their own or in a sorority. Cory catfish should be kept in groups of at least 8 with a sand substrate. Bala sharks grow to be very large. Tetras should be kept in schools of at least 7 of their own species.

I would basically re home most of the fish except for the ones that you like. For example, you could re home all the other fish (except for the BN) and make the tank a betta sorority. Or you could have a bichir tank. Or keep the Axolotle and make the tank his own (you could add a few more of them if you would like).

Keep in mind that I do not know your water chemistry so some of these fish may not be suitable. So do not make any decisions unless you know that the fish will suit the water and temperature. You can get some good information about fish species on this site. http://seriouslyfish.com/

Go with it! Give into the flow - it's society's crime not ours! If they grew up together they should tolerate one another as long as you don't miss any feedings. It's also easy to find homes for grown-out fish so I wouldn't panic. Ppl with big community tanks can't put juveniles in their displays so you'll be doing them a service. They pay more for these larger fish as well, say anything over 6-8". Join your local fish club and trade/sell them for more long-term compatible fish.

Personally I feel in these last Babylonian days we ideally should all serve in some kind of "rescue" capacity. That sometimes means less than ideal stocking for a period of time. It's still worthwhile and helps animals in need. We should all be helping to circulate and maintain these lines as best we can. It's a lot of work maintaining these habitats, why waste prime real estate? Keep it movin

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

The tank will balance itself out when it needs to. Are any of the specimens showing any signs of distress?

You will have to re-home these fish (aside from what you might be left with depending upon which you actually want and can house properly here), period.

This advice
If they grew up together they should tolerate one another as long as you don't miss any feedings.

I'm sorry, is not accurate.

These fish being together in totally inappropriate conditions and surviving for whatever period they have been does not mean they are healthy. Such conditions will cause severe stress at the very least, which weakens the immune system. This damage is permanent at some point, the fish will never recover which means they will never be healthy (or "happy" to the fish) and aggression is usually intensified once thee stress reaches the severe state which varies depending upon the individual fish and species.

And no aquarium that is so improperly stocked can ever balance itself out. These fish will be living terrible lives, surviving but certainly not thriving, and that must never be our procedure keeping fish.

Obviously the weak will be eaten thus reducing the bioload making a general improvement for the survivors. What's done is done why should the op exert additional energy trying to immediately rehome all these animals? They've gotten along this far. I don't see the merit in discouraging any potential fishkeeper from taking on a project like this because of less than ideal stocking. There's always a solution and I've found these animals to be rather forgiving even when we don't do everything by the book. Stable conditions are more important than ideal conditions and often more realistic for long-term care

Obviously the weak will be eaten thus reducing the bioload making a general improvement for the survivors.

Right there is your problem, if you want to call yourself a fishkeeper or hobbyist, you cannot hold these views, would you treat mammalian pets like this or reptiles? i think not, hobbyists cannot go on holding the view point that deaths are inevitable or just part of the hobby, most fish deaths are preventable.

Obviously the weak will be eaten thus reducing the bioload making a general improvement for the survivors. What's done is done why should the op exert additional energy trying to immediately rehome all these animals? They've gotten along this far. I don't see the merit in discouraging any potential fishkeeper from taking on a project like this because of less than ideal stocking. There's always a solution and I've found these animals to be rather forgiving even when we don't do everything by the book. Stable conditions are more important than ideal conditions and often more realistic for long-term care

This is certainly not the view of most of us on this forum, and because new inexperienced members may read posts and assume this or that is "OK" we must point out inaccuracies and wrong thinking. Putting together a group of fish in the hopes that the weaker will be eaten is not responsible. Nor is it humane.

And as for them getting along this far, they most certainly have not, damage has been done. When we decide to maintain any living creature, be it a fish or a dog or a cat or a bird, we have a responsibility to learn what it requires to be healthy and then provide those needs. These requirements are programmed into the fish's DNA and you or I am not going to change them, and the fish will not be "forgiving" of our failure to look after them. Understanding biology teaches us this.

And anyone who does not want to spend energy to properly provide for their fish, is in the wrong hobby. Both citations in my signature block are relevant here. This forum is a learning tool.

I know this is the industry's party line and I respect ppl making a living but we need fresh blood in the hobby. When I was younger I could never have sourced or even afforded to keep exactly what I wanted yet I could still enjoy having a tank set up. I personally feel that trying to revive the hobby with digital instant gratification does the animals a disservice. A first time fishkeeper probably lacks the skill to keep their personal favorites but why not take on a friend's neglected tank? I realize it's not ideal stocking but I still think it's commendable and worthy of note. I try to source everything from other keepers myself and transport them personally. Which approach is truly more of a luxury depends on the individual keeper. This is just what has worked for me.

I know this is the industry's party line and I respect ppl making a living but we need fresh blood in the hobby. When I was younger I could never have sourced or even afforded to keep exactly what I wanted yet I could still enjoy having a tank set up. I personally feel that trying to revive the hobby with digital instant gratification does the animals a disservice. A first time fishkeeper probably lacks the skill to keep their personal favorites but why not take on a friend's neglected tank? I realize it's not ideal stocking but I still think it's commendable and worthy of note. I try to source everything from other keepers myself and transport them personally. Which approach is truly more of a luxury depends on the individual keeper. This is just what has worked for me.

I see nothing wrong with the "industry's party line" being the desire to provide proper care so a fish is healthy, though I regret that there are many in the commercial side of the industry that have no idea whatsoever of how to do this. But ignorance can be taught; deliberately being cruel and inhumane to any living creature is not how anyone should approach this hobby. If you cannot afford to keep a fish in the environment that it requires to be healthy and function as it is programmed then you should not have it, plain and simple.

There is nothing wrong with taking a friend's tank but that too involves being knowledgeable and providing the best care. No one here is blaming the OP. But advising him correctly, which is what he asked us to do in post #1, is our job and our duty if we are responsible aquarists. Suggesting he should leave things as is so the fish can suffer the consequences is not the answer.

i can agree with this on many levels, people taking on unwanted fish do a good job, but you have to prepare yourself for the fact you are taking in a animal that has been mistreated, if you take in a rescue dog you get him wormed de-flea'd feed him up and pamper him, why not the same for rescue fish? be prepared to spend the money for a bigger aquarium or multiple aquariums in the long run, because if you rescue fish you are going to need them.

When we are talking about this specific case, the stocking is genuinely cruel, i feel very sorry for the fish in this tank if the situation stays the same, it will not be a nice aquarium to live in for them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back