New Tropical 125L Planted Community Tank....beginner..be Gentle!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stuzzy

Reaction score
Hello everyone, new to this forum, and new to fish keeping too!

Just thought I would share my new tank set up with you all. Any questions, comments and advice would be most welcome!
There are some links below to some pictures, I hope they work ok as I've just set it up!

Anyway, last year after a long time working and studying abroad, I finally got myself a small aqua one 320 (28l) tank. It was planted and contained a few cardinals and some pepper corys. It did pretty well, but after 6 months I decided that I would up the stakes somewhat and go large! (I'm beginning to feel that in this hobby, you always want a bigger tank!!!)
After some thought and research, I finally chose an aquamanta Eco 80 tank set up, with an EFX200 external filter, T5 lighting (white&soft red) and 100w heater (maybe a bit small for the tank, seems to be on quite a large percentage of the time)
I used tetra complete substrate, and a fine grane silica, seeded with jbl plant feed balls. I then splurged on some nice bog wood, which spent nearly a week in soak with regular water changes. I was a bit worried that it would turn the water a bit brown, but the filter has a carbon tray in it so it seems to keep the water pretty clear!
Bit of a novice when it came to the planting side of things, (could do with some help identifying everything) but I know I've got some Amazon Sword, Annubias, and Vallisneria, along with a Japanese moss ball.
I also installed a CO2 system. I finally went for a CO2 supermarket regulator/solenoid with adaptor for a soda stream bottle, into a glass CO2 diffuser. I run it for an hour before the lights come on to an hour before the lights go out (7hrs total) with an air pump feeding a 6 inch airstone at night. Seems to work pretty well so far, with my Ph levels staying pretty constant at 6.8.
After filling and adding my safe start, I left it around a week, and took the decision to add the fish from my old tank. I used some of the old gravel and put the old established filter in there too.
Over went 6 cardinal tetras, 5 Pepper Corys, 1 Pleco, 2 Assasin Snails, and 1 Bamboo Shrimp.
Kept a close eye on the Ammonia/Nitrates, which, along with weekly 10% water changes, have kept the levels pretty much at zero, and the fish seem very happy in their new home!

It's been about a month now since I've put the fish in, so I'm looking for some ideas! I like the idea of a peaceful community tank, with nothing that gets too big.
I was looking at a few more cardinals, and then a small shoal of rasporas or cherry barbs. A Siamese Algae eater, and another small group of Panda Corys. For a centrepiece I really like the look of a pair of Dwarf Ram Chiclid, or a pair Pearl Gouram instead. Any thoughts?
I feed floating tetra wafers, and the odd bit of bloodworm. The plants get a daily dose of 24hr nutrients.

That's about it so far! Like I say, any thoughts or comments greatly appreciated, anything I've missed or could be doing better for my tank.

Enjoy!

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o715/Stuzzy1/image_zps77201077.jpg
http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o715/Stuzzy1/image_zps1fe8f2a1.jpg
http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o715/Stuzzy1/image_zps21f47a45.jpg
http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o715/Stuzzy1/image_zpsaa713d99.jpg

WELCOME!!!

This all sounds great - the concern I have is with your phrase "Kept a close eye on the Ammonia/Nitrates, which, along with weekly 10% water changes, have kept the levels pretty much at zero, and the fish seem very happy in their new home!"

I assume you meant ammonia and nitrIte, both of which need to be SOLID zeros.  I wouldn't add any fish until I had that part completely under control, as adding more fish just increases the strain of the bioload.

I'd also up the amount of your water change to 20-25% weekly.

I love my panda cories!  They are superb little cories, getting about 1.5 inches long.  If you are looking at Ram cichlids, Bolivan are hardier and require temps more similar to the rest of your fish, same goes for Pearl Gourami.  

What type of pleco do you have?  Some can be tankbusters.  Mine is a BN pleco, which grows to about 5 inches.  I think my guy is full grown now.

Hi eagle,
Thanks for the reply. I'm really enjoying my new hobby so far, massively rewarding and hugely addicictive! Lots to learn though, so I'm glad to hear any feedback.
My testing kit is a strip 6 in 1 Tetra job, backed up by my friendly LFS. Aware this is not ideal but not sure the best way to go on this..... Heard good things about the AFI kit, but I like the fact of being able to monitor Gh, Kh and Cl levels. I say " pretty much" as the test strips are open to interpretation to say the least. I liked the idea of the seneye monitor, but I ve heard mixed reviews and I already monitor my Ph levels with a Ph meter.
My Pleco is a BN (thankfully, had no idea when I chose it and my now non preferred LFS did not advise me that anything else would become a monster!)
Do you think my proposed sticking levels would be alright for a 125l? I don't want to overstock?!!

Many thanks

API is the kit I use.  I wouldn't trust the strips.  The liquid test kits give you much better range than the strips.  This can also last longer if you use 2.5 ml for the ammonia and nitrate and 3ml using the nitrite kit.  If you want more information on this, let me know, I'll lay it out with more detail.

It is highly addictive.  I'm starting a new tank right now - have been in discussions about it for about 2-3 years, and now getting it ready for another 3-4 months.  Fish should be coming next week - I can't wait!!!

Next - I'd steer clear of the Siamese Algae eater, personally.  The BN pleco will be competing for algae with the Siamese Algae eater.

Your stocking:
6 cardinal tetras 
5 Pepper Corys  (I'd bump this to 6)
1 BN Pleco
2 Assasin Snails
1 Bamboo Shrimp

Additional fish: 
6 panda corys
1m:1f Bolivian Ram

This would finish your stocking, and you should be fine.  Its a touch on the HEAVILY stocked side, but I wouldn't say "OVER"stocked.

pH is not so greatly important that you need to monitor it constantly with a pH meter, but there's also nothing wrong with it either.  Once you are completely cycled (ammonia and nitrite are always zero) - nitrate becomes the next factor to watch.  What's the nitrate in your tap?  You should try to keep nitrates under 20ppm above your tap levels.

I have the same tank as you and it has been set up since the beginning of december, i would recommend getting some nice background plants such as some vallisneria spiralis. I started with a few plants and they have just been sending out runners and growning loads. I recently added some cabomba carolinia and it has reached the top of the tank within a couple of weeks. I dont have pressurised co2 but i do dose daily with liquid carbon. I added some java moss to some of my mopani wood and rocks and its turning out great.

The only difference is i upgraded the filter to an efx300.

The image in my signature is a little out of date now, the cabomba in the right corner is touching the top of the water and the vallis is pretty much at the top. I will try and get some new pics up soon.

Eagle- thanks for the advice, I'll have a good look into the API kit. I'd hate it if the test strips have led me into a false sense of security! Good to know about the Ph levels too. Although my water seems to have a good Kh, I was concerned that the CO2 by day and O2 by night might give me some undesirable Ph swings, hence the reason for keeping an eye out for that. I must admit I haven't tested my tap water for nitrates, it (embarrassingly) never crossed my mind. I'm off to the LFS shop for an AFI test kit in the next few days for sure!
I had thought about the SAE purely for algae control in particular hair algae off the plants. It seems that Mr Pleco prefers the glass and the bogwood (but maybe he is more active on the plants at night?)
Also, would you recommend keeping the small internal filter running indefinitely? It's a bit noisy at times, and after its done its job 'seeding' the tank, will it help much over and above the external I have?
Sebn- nice tank! I am pleased with the aquamanta, although the hood is a bit tricky and feels like a bit of an afterthought! What fish do you have in it? I have a couple of Vallisnera in the tank already, but I like the look of the tall grass you have.
Also thinking of trying out some planted bogwood, and some form of carpet planting over a small area maybe?

Thanks again guys!

Just checked my water supplier, and officially it has a mean of 15ppm. However the Gh readings on my test strip led me to think the water here was on the soft side, but the water company says its 102mg/l CaCO₃. I know that the Cardinals like soft water,and Bolivian/Germans rams too. The Cardinals seem fine in the water, 6 months now. Stopping short of using RO water, is this level ok for what I would like to keep in my tank?

The best choice would be just to move the media from the smaller filter into the external.

Carpet plants: dwarf hairgrass and "HC".

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back