New To Tropical Fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ash_

Reaction score
I have a new tropical tank which we set up last weekend and have 4 guppies in it.

Now the issue i have is that 2 of the guppies are female and are pregnant. What is the best way to handle this?

As its such a new tank it has not cycled yet and so will the introduction of the fry be harmful?

If so should i get  a smaller tank for them or can i use a net breeder thing?

IMAG0857_small.jpg

This is going to sound harsh, but I wouldn't do anything.

Concentrate on getting through your cycle and leave any fry to manage the best they can. If you want to give them a chance, then add a load of live plants to your tank (the plants will help a tiny bit with your cycle as well, by using some of the ammonia as food).

Bear in mind that, as you don't have a separate tank, and each female guppy will have 30 or 40 fry, every 30 days, you're not in a position to rear very many. The introduction of fry won't be 'harmful', except they will of course be adding to the ammonia being produced.

Thanks for the help.

I was going to buy some plants to put in front of the filter housing in the corner so at least that will help a bit.

I assume the adult guppies will eat some of the fry then?

When do you advise adding more fish? should i wait untill the females have given birth? This is a 70 ltr tank

Do not add anymore fish until your tank gets cycled. It could takes weeks to cycle a tank. In the meantime, do regular water changes (I would recommend daily) and be sure to use a conditioner like Prime when doing the water changes.

Don't worry about the fry. As mentioned you'll be up to your ears in fry every month.

You mentioned that you have 4 guppies. Are all girls? If not, once your tank is cycled, you should have a minimum of 2 girls for every boy. Male guppies breed like it's their job and will drive the girls nuts and stress them out to the point that they die.

All females should be considered pregnant all the time, because they are. Each girl can give birth up to 6 times from just one encounter with a male. So plan on a minimum of 180 new fry per fish (over six months) without any males in the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back