elldavis_x

Reaction score
hey!! I am new to this forum!

So I am soon to be buying a 100L tank and will be going freshwater tropical.

I have never had tropical before, but I hope to make it look as cool as possible, only problem is that I'm not sure what fish are best suited for each other etc. :fish:
I've recently taken a liking to Discus, however I have been told these are very difficult to keep and cannot be kept with many other species? Is this true?

I have also taken a liking to figure 8 puffer although I am aware these are aggressive.

Can anyone give some advice on what fish would look good and also be happy together? As well as live in a similar environment? I don't want it to be too tricky while I'm just getting started:fish:

Thanks!!7

Hi there, welcome to the forums :)

The first thing you need to do is find out the hardness and pH or your water; you should be able to find out somewhere on your supplier's website. You should always try and stock with fish that will do well in your local water, as it's a lot of hassle to change it (and it can be a tricky job too).

I can tell you that a 100l tank would not be big enough for discus; you'd need something at least twice that size, as they need to be kept in groups and do get quite big. They need much warmer water than most other tropicals, which is part of the reason tankmates are so difficult, but they're also quite shy and can be put off eating if there are other, more boisterous, fish in the tank. They do demand very high quality water too, so they're not the easiest fish for a beginner to the hobby. I'd start with something a bit less demanding, if I were you!

I don't know much about figure eight puffers; I think they might need brackish (slightly salty) water, and they need a diet that keeps their 'beak' from becoming overgrown, so you wouldn't be able to feed them 'normal' fish foods.

If you find out about your water, I'm sure we can come up with some suggestions for you :) I'd also recommend you have a look through the 'Cycling Your Tank' sections, as that will be the next thing for you to get your head around :)

thank you so much for this advice, I'm quite sad about the discus but I completely agree I think I should stick to something more simple to start with.

As for the water, how do I find out information about it? I am from the Birmingham region if that is any use at all? Local fish shops have told me that going tropical is as simple as heating the water, which I thought seemed a little too easy!:(
I will check out the 'cycle your tank' forums aswell, thank you again!

It's a sad fact that a lot of local fish shops will say whatever they think will make you buy something from them. If you do not properly cycle the tank before getting fish, unfortunately there is a high chance they will not survive (and guess where you go to get replacements). You may be told (like I was) that a particular fish will be fine in the size tank you have (in my case, goldfish in a 100l tank). They suffer, they don't live as long as they could, and you may need to buy medication (guess where from) in order to combat health issues.

Having said that, a good local fish shop is like gold (I have one within a 30 minute drive from home).

Enthusiasts on this here forum will give you better advice than a fish store employee.

Figure 8 Puffer Tank Mates : Best kept alone, can often be kept with other figure eights. Other possible tank mates include brackish gobies such as the bumblebee or mollies, but success is not very likely.
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/jan09/figurepuffer.htm

Now this is just my opinion.

A 100 liter tank would be perfect for a Betta sorority, say 5 or 6 girls and a bunch of Kuhli loaches ( sand substrate prefered ) of course the tank needs to be heavily planted.

Check out my sorority if you like. Link in signature.

Thank you, it is annoying being told such different things from different shops as I man totally clueless right now. I am going to look at cycling my tank and find a few forums for smaller tanks. I've been told all sorts are okay in 100L, aswell as discus! I'm going to go to the shop today and get my water tested and hopefully that will help me decide on what fishes
It's a sad fact that a lot of local fish shops will say whatever they think will make you buy something from them. If you do not properly cycle the tank before getting fish, unfortunately there is a high chance they will not survive (and guess where you go to get replacements). You may be told (like I was) that a particular fish will be fine in the size tank you have (in my case, goldfish in a 100l tank). They suffer, they don't live as long as they could, and you may need to buy medication (guess where from) in order to combat health issues.

Having said that, a good local fish shop is like gold (I have one within a 30 minute drive from home).

Enthusiasts on this here forum will give you better advice than a fish store employee.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back