New to mollys

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mkemp8

Reaction score
So I got 3 mollys at a local pet store I thought they were interesting and asked them about them. The informed me that mollys are very easy to take care of and that they are schooling fish so you have to have a few so I got a dalmation a black and a silver molly but when I finally got the set up finished for them my silver molly and dalmation molly started to fight each other so I sepporated them and then the silver one killed the black one I did some research and found that the black one was a male and the other 2 are female they have a 75 gallon tank but I don't know what to do about them and if this keeps happening I may have to give up on fish

First, what are your water parameters? GH (general or total hardness) is crucial for mollies, they must have water that is at minimum moderately hard. And with a basic pH that is in the high 7's to 8's. They will not last long in soft or acidic water.

Second, they need space, as they are not small fish, attaining 3-5 inches. A 75g tank is fine for this, certainly.

Third, male and female together will result in dozens of fry every month, from every female. Generally it is best to have only males to avoid this. If you have male/female, you must have more females than males as the males can be "pushy" to say the least; three females to a male is best, but remember this will mean hundreds of fry every month when they get going, and not all can be eaten by the fish themselves, so you will need a plan to dispose of the fry.

Fourth, mollies are not "easy" fish; they cannot tolerate ammonia (or nitrite) at all, so the tank must be cycled and established before they are added.

Byron.

First, what are your water parameters? GH (general or total hardness) is crucial for mollies, they must have water that is at minimum moderately hard. And with a basic pH that is in the high 7's to 8's. They will not last long in soft or acidic water.

Second, they need space, as they are not small fish, attaining 3-5 inches. A 75g tank is fine for this, certainly.

Third, male and female together will result in dozens of fry every month, from every female. Generally it is best to have only males to avoid this. If you have male/female, you must have more females than males as the males can be "pushy" to say the least; three females to a male is best, but remember this will mean hundreds of fry every month when they get going, and not all can be eaten by the fish themselves, so you will need a plan to dispose of the fry.

Fourth, mollies are not "easy" fish; they cannot tolerate ammonia (or nitrite) at all, so the tank must be cycled and established before they are added.

Byron.
My personal experience has been quite the opposite. I have a 20 gal tank, initially purchased 3 black mollies (1 male, 2 females) which to my surprise 1 (both?)of the females was pregnant resulting in 7 fry. 5 survived and are thriving well. I haven't had anymore fry since.
Now mind you-Im very old school in alot of things, aquariums being 1 of them. I didnt go thru all this cycling, I actually dont totally understand why or the procedure(s). I started my very 1st aquarium over 30 yrs ago & have always had success. Myself, personally I believe in what works for some may not work for others. Altho being old school-I'm always willing/wanting to learn more.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back