New to mollys

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mkemp8

Reaction score
So I got 3 mollys at petsmart I thought they were interesting and asked them about them. The informed me that mollys are very easy to take care of and that they are schooling fish so you have to have a few so I got a salvation a black and a silver molly but when I finally got the set up finished for them my silver molly and salvation molly started to fight each other so I sepporated them and then the silver one killed the black one I did some research and found that the black one was a male and the other 2 are female they have a 75 gallon tank but I don't know what to do about them and if this keeps happening I may have to give up on fish

Mollies are not a good begginer fish, they are livebearers, which have a bad rap of being easy to care for, Mollies require brackish or estrauine water, which can be measured via Refractometer, mollies also prefer to be kept in a harem, one male mutiple females, these fish are comparable to bettas in aggressiveness when it comes to males, they can live in freshwater but not to their greatest potential, I suggest rehoming, or giving them the best possible life you can offer, if you'd like an easy fish, try bettas.

Mollies are not a good begginer fish, they are livebearers, which have a bad rap of being easy to care for, Mollies require brackish or estrauine water, which can be measured via Refractometer, mollies also prefer to be kept in a harem, one male mutiple females, these fish are comparable to bettas in aggressiveness when it comes to males, they can live in freshwater but not to their greatest potential, I suggest rehoming, or giving them the best possible life you can offer, if you'd like an easy fish, try bettas.
I've had quite the opposite experience with mollies. I've actually found them to be quite easy to care for & maintain.
My current aquarium is 1st time ever having mollies, to which I initially purchased 3 black mollies (1 male, 2 females). I wasn't aware that 1 of the females was pregnant til less than a week later I had an additional 7 (babies), but unfortunately the initial 3 died. I've never had babies (live or eggs), 5 out of the 7 survived & are very healthy

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back