New To Keeping Fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

xohaibshahzad

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi, i want to make a fish tank, i have no idea of "how to keep fish", i just want to have a fish tank, full of fishes that's it, i don't want to hurt them either that's why i am asking for your opinion here.
the tank i want to prepare is of 8mm glass, the size 'd be around

L= 5Ft (60")
W= 2Ft (24")
H= 2.5 Ft (30")

using web calculators i found that around 187 Gallons (US) of water will be required, which will weight around 706 Kgs (1557 pounds).

i am asking for you opinions about the measurements, are they okay? or should i need to reduce them? etc.

It is okay, provided that the bottom glass should be thicker than the rest of the glass to be put on the sides so it could withstand the weight and pressure of the water once it is added inside

Tongue_Flicker said:
It is okay, provided that the bottom glass should be thicker than the rest of the glass to be put on the sides so it could withstand the weight and pressure of the water once it is added inside
Isn't 8mm glass enough for the base glass?

To be on safe side i have re-arranged the measuements as

L 4.5 ft (54")
W 2ft (24")
H 2ft (24")

With 8MM glass will it be able to hold the pressure/weight of the water?

anyone? 
fish.gif

For a tank that deep, you're going to need 10mm glass.

Yeah that seems good. I'd still go with having a 10mm-15mm thickness for the bottom glass. Just don't add huge, heavy rocks inside

I think all the glass needs to be 10mm, if it's going to be two feet deep. My 5'x2'x2' has 10mm all round, and it's a cheap one, so it won't have thicker glass than it needed!

fluttermoth said:
I think all the glass needs to be 10mm, if it's going to be two feet deep. My 5'x2'x2' has 10mm all round, and it's a cheap one, so it won't have thicker glass than it needed!

Thanks,... but we don't have 10 mm in Pk we either have 8 or 12 and above,....

You'll have to either do it in 12mm, or make the tank shallower (it's the pressure from the depth of the water that determines how thick the glass needs to be).

If you change the depth to 18", you could use 8mm.

fluttermoth said:
You'll have to either do it in 12mm, or make the tank shallower (it's the pressure from the depth of the water that determines how thick the glass needs to be).

If you change the depth to 18", you could use 8mm.
My first choice will be 5x2x2 if i find 12mm else i will go for L4.5xW1.5xH2 in 8mm, hoping that it won't break in middle of the night... thanks again.
Btw i just saw a L4xH2.5xL1 in 5mm and the owner told me its been good for almost 2yrs and still in good condition.

Well, that's fair enough, but it's an awful lot of water on your floor if it does go! Always best to be on the safe side, IMO!

fluttermoth said:
Well, that's fair enough, but it's an awful lot of water on your floor if it does go! Always best to be on the safe side, IMO!

Thanks, i 'll be keeping that in Mind,....

Good luck, I hope we get to see some pictures when it's finished :)

What kind of fish are you think of having?

Most reactions

Back