New To Forum - 1 Year Anniversary As A Tank Owner 10G

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

blackbirdw68

Reaction score
Hello.
I found the forum today while trying to figure out what fish I actually own. I always just see a cool looking fish in the store and just buy it not thinking so much about the name.

I have had a 10G Half-Moon aquarium for a little over a year now. 

I have the following fish:
1x - Albino Cory
1x - Dyed (Blue) Skirt Tetra
1x - Glo-Tetra
1x - White Skirt Tetra
1x - Black Skirt Tetra
1x - Neon Tetra
2x - Otocinclus

I've gone through a handful of other fish but I found a good status quo where I'm at now. I had platys and mollys but they were way too messy. I had a beautiful glass catfish but it and the platys and mollys died during Hurricane Sandy when I had no power for 2 weeks.

I have a Fluval C2 filter - so this thing does a great job at keeping the tank clean. I end up replacing about 10% of water a week just through evaporation and not much else. The tank is holding at great levels without much other effort.

Picture below - not the best because it's kinda hard to get a good photo from this tank I guess due to the shape.

Untitled by jadidonato, on Flickr

Welcome to the forum.

You may need to rehome some of your fish or get a bigger tank :/
All of those fish there (except the otocinclus) need to be in schools of at least 6. If you were to get them all schools of six, then you would be majorly over stocked (hence why you would need to either rehome or upgrade).
None of those fish are suitable for a tank of your size either :/
I recommend that you rehome all of those fish (the otocinclus could stay - but would need another of its kind added), and start fresh, asking on here to make sure all fish are suitable before you buy them.
There is more to fishkeeping than just seeing a fish in the shop and buying it, you ALWAYS need to research the fish before buying it, to check for compatibility and the fishes needs. :nod:

Even otos do better in schools.
A tank that size and shape may be better suited for shrimp and or a betta.
Not wanting to be discouraging, we all start somewhere.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back