New To Fish. Not To Keeping Difficult Specimen.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yeah dude, It's pretty much empty. So way overstocked. Of course the shark gets bigger and will need a bigger tank but for now it's fine
Please please listen to the advice that we have given you. Possibly you can move the shark to a slightly bigger tank temporarily before you it starts. Most new fishkeepers when corrected think that they are fine, when really they are not. Please, take it into consideration, or just maybe rehome your shark and move the angel and loaches to a 55gal and leave the guppies in the 10gal.

You can have up to 4 red bellied piranhas in a 90 gallon.
Piranhas really need to be in a bigger group to feel safe. Wouldn't recommend this to someone who is just starting in the fish hobby. OP I know you aren't new to "animals" but fish are very different. Like I've been around dogs and cats(bred to) my whole life but keeping fish is something that takes time. First you need to know about the nitrogen cycle.

Please please listen to the advice that we have given you. Possibly you can move the shark to a slightly bigger tank temporarily before you it starts. Most new fishkeepers when corrected think that they are fine, when really they are not. Please, take it into consideration, or just maybe rehome your shark and move the angel and loaches to a 55gal and leave the guppies in the 10gal.
Well right now the shark is under and inch and a half and so is the angel fish. The guppies are about and inch and the loach is maybe 3 inches. As they get bigger my LFS offers the option to trade in toward whatever I wish. In fact they just got 3 rainbow sharks at 7 inches from a trade yesterday. However I don't think I'll be trading in because as the initial post indicated that I used to run a reptile rescue. So my current tank inventory (empty) is; 4 40gal breeder, 2 55 gal, 2 29 tall, 2 20 long, 2 15gal, 8 10 gallons, 3 5 gallons, and 5 2.5 gallons....and occupied; 2 40gal breeders, 2 10gal, 3 5gal, and 2 120 gal ish wood enclosures not suitable for fish. Soooo....the plan is as the 10 gallon tank grows It will evolve into something else. Man I have so much glass I just gave 2 40 breeders away to some kids with beardies because they were excited and cared and I wanted the space. So anyway.....wana buy a tank?

Well right now the shark is under and inch and a half and so is the angel fish. The guppies are about and inch and the loach is maybe 3 inches. As they get bigger my LFS offers the option to trade in toward whatever I wish. In fact they just got 3 rainbow sharks at 7 inches from a trade yesterday. However I don't think I'll be trading in because as the initial post indicated that I used to run a reptile rescue. So my current tank inventory (empty) is; 4 40gal breeder, 2 55 gal, 2 29 tall, 2 20 long, 2 15gal, 8 10 gallons, 3 5 gallons, and 5 2.5 gallons....and occupied; 2 40gal breeders, 2 10gal, 3 5gal, and 2 120 gal ish wood enclosures not suitable for fish. Soooo....the plan is as the 10 gallon tank grows It will evolve into something else. Man I have so much glass I just gave 2 40 breeders away to some kids with beardies because they were excited and cared and I wanted the space. So anyway.....wana buy a tank?
Oh, I understand. So the 10gal is just a growout tank? Though as it evolves, the fish cannot stay in the same tank as each other.

Anyways, I would love to buy a tank, but my parents wouldnt let me.

You cant keep tarantulas for 1 million years and start keeping fish and say that you know what your doing. You clearly don't know what your doing.

Oh, I understand. So the 10gal is just a growout tank? Though as it evolves, the fish cannot stay in the same tank as each other.

Anyways, I would love to buy a tank, but my parents wouldnt let me.

Wait... Do you have a tank now? Trash bin.

Of course I do, I have three! Why else would I be here? I just probably can't get another tank....
Oh ok I just saw that your parents wouldn't allow you to get one. lol. Can I see pics of them?

Yeah dude, It's pretty much empty. So way overstocked. Of course the shark gets bigger and will need a bigger tank but for now it's fine

I'm really sorry to pile in on this, but it is true, your little tank is badly overstocked, and you have a really bad mixture of fish too.

For one thing, you should be using the eventual, adult size of the fish when you do any stocking calculations, not the size they are now.

Fish suffer from stunting, very easily, and tanks that are too small are a major factor in this. The idea of 'grow out tanks', is an extremely bad one, unless you're talking about very young fry, or baby 'tankbusters'. One of the big issues is that, of course, you won't know if your fish are being stunted until you notice they've stopped growing and by then it's too late, and much of the damage is already done.

You also don't appear to have taken into account the differing water, temperature, and social needs of your fish. The angel needs soft water, the guppies need hard. The dojo loach, like all loaches, is social, and should be kept in a group; it is also a temperate fish, and should not be at tropical temperatures permanently.

What sort of pH and hardness are you buffering your RO water to?

SgtSparkles, welcome to TFF :hi: and to the tropical fish hobby. :fish:

I have followed this thread and feel there may be some benefit in explaining a couple things about fish. You said in post #1 you are a total beginner, but some "bad habits" are showing up, so hopefully I will be able to put things in perspective.

Fish are absolutely unique among vertebrates, far more closely tied to their environment than any terrestrial animal with the exception of amphibians. By "environment" here we are considering the water parameters, habitat (aquascape), numbers of the species, other species, light and water flow. Every species of freshwater fish has evolved over thousands of years to function in one very specific environment. The environment (all those things I listed) governs the fish's metabolism and impacts the physiology. All of this is programmed into the DNA of the species, and while it certainly can change it takes hundreds of years for this to occur. We know through phylogenetic analysis that some species are certainly evolving today. But success with fish in an aquarium will only occur if all of the factors are understood, and provided.

Any one factor that is not "what the fish expects" means stress. As this increases, the fish weakens. Stress is directly responsible for about 95% of all fish disease; the pathogen has to be present obviously, but it is the presence of stress that causes the fish to succumb rather than fight it off. So avoiding stress is key to success and healthy fish.

Now I will come to a couple basics from what has been discussed in this thread so far. Let's take the angelfish. This is a shoaling fish, so it lives in groups. In nature there is seldom any serious aggression as the fish have the ability to move away. But in the aquarium this is not possible, but there is much more to this. Fish release chemical signals, pheromones and allomones, and other fish read these; serious stress leading to a weakened fish can occur just from this, even without physical aggression. And the smaller the tank space, the greater the problem because the fish is now swimming around in water full of stressful signals. The fish "expect" to be in a group, so the absence of conspecifics adds more stress. Dr. Loiselle's comment cited in green in my signature block is right on the mark.

"Overstocking" is much more than mere fish biomass, as all of the above impacts the tank's biology and the fish are further being adversely impacted. I learned a useful maxim many years ago after a failure; I will never acquire any fish for which I do not know everything about its habitat and requirements, and for which I can today provide what it needs throughout its life. Anything less is just cruel to the fish. And right from day one, the fish is being impacted by any adverse conditions, so there really is no time to spare. Negative impacts of any of this remain with the fish permanently, irreversible.

This is of necessity brief, so feel free to question.

Last edited:
SgtSparkles, welcome to TFF :hi: and to the tropical fish hobby. :fish:

I have followed this thread and feel there may be some benefit in explaining a couple things about fish. You said in post #1 you are a total beginner, but some "bad habits" are showing up, so hopefully I will be able to put things in perspective.

Fish are absolutely unique among vertebrates, far more closely tied to their environment than any terrestrial animal with the exception of amphibians. By "environment" here we are considering the water parameters, habitat (aquascape), numbers of the species, other species, light and water flow. Every species of freshwater fish has evolved over thousands of years to function in one very specific environment. The environment (all those things I listed) governs the fish's metabolism and impacts the physiology. All of this is programmed into the DNA of the species, and while it certainly can change it takes hundreds of years for this to occur. We know through phylogenetic analysis that some species are certainly evolving today. But success with fish in an aquarium will only occur if all of the factors are understood, and provided.

Any one factor that is not "what the fish expects" means stress. As this increases, the fish weakens. Stress is directly responsible for about 95% of all fish disease; the pathogen has to be present obviously, but it is the presence of stress that causes the fish to succumb rather than fight it off. So avoiding stress is key to success and healthy fish.

Now I will come to a couple basics from what has been discussed in this thread so far. Let's take the angelfish. This is a shoaling fish, so it lives in groups. In nature there is seldom any serious aggression as the fish have the ability to move away. But in the aquarium this is not possible, but there is much more to this. Fish release chemical signals, pheromones and allomones, and other fish read these; serious stress leading to a weakened fish can occur just from this, even without physical aggression. And the smaller the tank space, the greater the problem because the fish is now swimming around in water full of stressful signals. The fish "expect" to be in a group, so the absence of conspecifics adds more stress. Dr. Loiselle's comment cited in green in my signature block is right on the mark.

"Overstocking" is much more than mere fish biomass, as all of the above impacts the tank's biology and the fish are further being adversely impacted. I learned a useful maxim many years ago after a failure; I will never acquire any fish for which I do not know everything about its habitat and requirements, and for which I can today provide what it needs throughout its life. Anything less is just cruel to the fish. And right from day one, the fish is being impacted by any adverse conditions, so there really is no time to spare. Negative impacts of any of this remain with the fish permanently, irreversible.

This is of necessity brief, so feel free to question.
I do appreciate your concern for the well being of the fish. I'll upload a picture to show you just how empty the tank actually is. Says my Pic is too large. Will the fish in this tank outgrow the the capacity of this tank? Absolutely. Right now all my fish are so small that they occupy next to no space and my weekly water tests all come back normal. Great on ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and 7.6 ish for pH which you have to filter to get to here as our tap water is like 8.6. My lfs does all of the testing for free. They rock. Ultimately this tank will be replaced when the fishies get bigger and then I can ditch this terrible rim mount filter at the same time. For now we will keep testing our water every Sunday as we pick up more supplies for the 90. And we'll keep an eye on the red tail cause while ours mainly plays around inside the fake tree others seem to turn into bullies.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1538188661976.jpg
    FB_IMG_1538188661976.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 271
I suggest you start cycling the 90 asap, so in a few weeks you can move your fish, though I do think you should start cycling a 55gal as well for the angels and loaches, and so the shark can have the 90, and maybe another compatible tankmate. The guppies may stay in the 10gal.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back