New to fish: Betta tank shopping list

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Shazamo

Reaction score
Hi Folks:

I'm brand new to fish and have been doing a lot of research. I've to decided to set up a small aquarium for 1 betta that will reside on my kitchen table so I have someone to talk to at mealtime. (I'm single and retired.) I have future plans to have a larger (~60 gallon) tank but have to watch my budget.

My city's water parameters are at http://www.louisvilleco.gov/home/showdocument?id=514. pH is at 8.41. What other useful numbers are in this report?

My plan is to purchase the following pieces. Note so far I have a yellow submarine for decoration:)

Fluval Spec V 5 gallon kit
Hydor Theo 50w heater (maybe slight overkill but my house can get cool)
20lb Caribsea ECO complete planted black substrate (20lb is the only size)
API freshwater Master test Kit
tube style thermometer
pure ammonia
net
sponge filter to buffer the filter output
live plants, maybe 4?
start-up chemicals
Marimo moss balls (they look neat)
http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/eco-complete-planted-black-aquarium-substrate
How much ammonia should I buy? I know there is a calculator to determine exact measurements. I found a local store that sells it in 1 gallon jugs. Is that a good size to get?

Any specific plant recommendations and quantities?

I'll go thru the water cycling process as outlined elsewhere on TFF.

I'm a little confused on what chemicals I need to start with. Looking at an API brochure, I should get Stress Coat which makes tap water safe. Then do I need Quick Start if I'm using the Caribsea stuff?

Later I'll get the betta and food.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Conrad Thomaier
Louisville, CO. USA

20lb Caribsea ECO complete planted black substrate (20lb is the only size)

Do not waste your money on this stuff.

Marimo moss balls (they look neat)
True Marimo moss balls are endangered in the wild because of the aquarium trade. Marimo moss balls are not moss they are algae and grow about 5 millimeters a year and with the right care can live over 100 years. IMO a bettas tank is too warm for Marimo balls.

You can waste your money on whatever you want. People have different opinions and experiences and what not and no one should tell you what to do in such a way and without their reasons none the less. Any substrate you use will work if you know what you're doing and have clear expectations. Eco complete would be fine for a small betta tank. There are cheaper routes that will yield the same results especially since this sounds like it's going to be a low tech tank, but eco complete would probably be a great decision, especially for the plants I recommend...
For plants I'd recommend beginner plants. Anubias, swords, Val's...I'd stick with swords and anubias as I don't think the fluval specV provides much light at all but I'm not too familiar with this tank. get a few different species of anubias and swords for variation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eco complete would be fine for a small betta tank. There are cheaper routes that will yield the same results especially since this sounds like it's going to be a low tech tank, but eco complete would probably be a great decision, especially for the plants I recommend...

I had this stuff and saw no benefit to the plants, and I doubt you will find anybody on this site that disagrees.

I would use the $50 you save on the Caribsea ECO complete on buying a bigger tank say 10 gallon, and using fine gravel or plain old play sand.
https://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=4014&catID=2

Of course it works, but personally I'd rather use clay cat litter for the same results at a fraction of the price. Of course you could just use an inert substrate - aquatic plants will readily take nutrients from the water column anyway, the old 'root feeders' thing is a bit of an old wives tale, it's true that some plants prefer to take nutrients through their roots, but they will take them from the water column too, sure I don't like taking the long route to the shop but it doesn't mean I can't...

I've had high tech setups for years and the common belief amongst the planted community is that a nutrient rich substrate is a necessity in these instances, but my latest set up proves otherwise - not only that the water column extends into the substrate anyway so some nutrients will be getting to the roots this way also.

You can't say it doesn't work lol.
Well actually I can say it dont work any better than plain old pea gravel and I am saying it.

The stuff is also very messy as its full of plant matter and is not suitable for bottom dwellers like corys or kuhli loaches as its too sharp.

you probably did something wrong
Please enlighten me on what I did wrong, My tanks are low tech.

2 of my tanks.
687474703a2f2f6936352e74696e797069632e636f6d2f6479767067312e6a7067

v83ep2.jpg

Now please tell me why I need a bag of substrate worth $ 50Aud for 9 kilos?

My tank maintenance consists of feeding the fish and changing 50% of the water once a week, I do not vacuum the substrate or add any fertilizer.

Last edited:
Well actually I can say it dont work any better than plain old pea gravel and I am saying it.

The stuff is also very messy as its full of plant matter and is not suitable for bottom dwellers like corys or kuhli loaches as its too sharp.

We're talking about a betta tank in case you didn't read the post. *doesnt^^

Please enlighten me on what I did wrong, My tanks are low tech.

2 of my tanks.
687474703a2f2f6936352e74696e797069632e636f6d2f6479767067312e6a7067

v83ep2.jpg

Now please tell me why I need a bag of substrate worth $ 50Aud for 9 kilos?

My tank maintenance consists of feeding the fish and changing 50% of the water once a week, I do not vacuum the substrate or add any fertilizer.

You don't NEED it, but you shouldn't tell beginners it doesn't work or that they are wrong. Your approach was not very responsible. You could simply say: "I personally think any substrates will yield the same results and in my experience, I never noticed any benefits from eco complete." Per the op, he doesn't plan to have corys so that is irrelevant. Everyone's situation is different and narrow minded folks tend to believe that their experiences are just like everyone else's experiences. For the record I personally agree with you in this situation. I have had tremendous success with inert sand/hi tech tanks for example. Yes he could have success with pea gravel so kindly state what your opinion is in the matter, but many people do like eco complete and if they have disposable income, then that's their choice. If the op doesn't want to mess with the tank at all, eco would indeed be pretty good for his swords and anubias or whatever...though it's not necessary, it doesn't make it useless. See how you got defensive when I said "you probably did it wrong?" Same concept, I was making a point. The post above yours was written respectively and in an opinionated manner, not by a "I know everything" guy. You can't state an opinion as a fact bud. Let a fish keeper come up with his own OPINIONS after you give your OPINIONS.

In your water report, gH and kH are the other ones I know of, but I'm not experienced enough to explain the specifics of them.
As you can see by the debate above me, there is mixed opinion on whether or not the Caribsea substrate works. I have no opinion, because I'm too broke to buy it in the first place. ;)
Sponge filters are very good for bettas, good pick!
As Nick said, Marimo are endangered. There are many different types of moss though, like Subwassertang, Java moss, etc.
The gallon of ammonia is what I have, it's useful to keep around for future tanks and cleaning. As long as it doesn't foam when you shake it, it would be okay.
Anubias, Hygrophilia, Water sprite, Banana plants, Cryptocorynes, and Water Lettuce are plants that grow well for my water, and should fit in your tank. (very similiar to yours)
Quick Start is bottled beneficial bacteria, while Stress Coat is a water conditioner. Caribsea substrate shouldn't do anything for your bacteria colony or condition the water.

(Apologies if there are any grammar mistakes or typos, it's been a long day)

Good luck with your new tank. In my opinion you don't need any fancy substrate, I tried supplemented substrate before and ended up removing it all over time to be replaced with sand and rocks. The only supplement I add is called flourish, it's just trace elements that plants like, the plants grow great. Also 5 gallon, or any really small tank cam be a challenge. If you're not careful water parameters can swing wildly very quickly because it doesn't have size as a buffer, if you plan on upgrading anyway it might be wise to get the bigger tank and skip the small one. Otherwise you'll end up like me and many others with bigger and bigger tanks, one for each room....lol.

Attachments

• WP_20170108_01_19_50_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170108_01_19_50_Pro.jpg
    805.2 KB · Views: 181
You can't state an opinion as a fact bud. Let a fish keeper come up with his own OPINIONS after you give your OPINIONS.

Well actually I can because I used the stuff for 12 months in 3 tanks, I spent over $400 on the rubbish for my 5 gallon cube, my 18 gallon 2 footer and my 100 gallon 6 footer, You want to know where it is now? I dumped it in the garden.

Well actually I can because I used the stuff for 12 months in 3 tanks, I spent over $400 on the rubbish for my 5 gallon cube, my 18 gallon 2 footer and my 100 gallon 6 footer, You want to know where it is now? I dumped it in the garden.

12 FULL months? And wow you're completely right, your experience means it's useless to everyone. I forgot that you're a biologist and you've done extensive testing. My bad [emoji847]

I apologizes for not allowing the OP to spend their money as they see fit, You know what you are talking about and I will now bow out of this thread,

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back