New Tank, Stocking Suggestions

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

tkdjr1186

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Good afternoon all!

So i recently set-up and cycled a new 65 gallon tank. My problem is i've never had a tank this big before and I really want to stock it nicely. I was thinking about having Discus, German Blue Ram, and a bristlnose pleco. I'm not sure what else would go well with this or if anyone has any other good ideas. I'm open to just about anything! Let the suggestions fly!

What's your ph like and hardness? That might be a good starting point.

Discus and rams, for example, prefer softer, more acidic water.

Knowing the dimensions of the tank (length/width/height) would also help :good:

Knowing the dimensions of the tank (length/width/height) would also help :good:

36x18x24

What's your ph like and hardness? That might be a good starting point.

Discus and rams, for example, prefer softer, more acidic water.

I just added driftwood so i'm going to wait a day see what that does to PH and such. Also have to buy a new test kit for ph and hardness as I can't seem to locate mine

If you can and really want to keep discus, which i would say do! they are magnificent fish with superb character.

Simply buy some i think it is JBL peat pellets. I know my local Maidenhead sell them for fairly cheap.

Half the bag in your filter should do a better change and keep the PH lowered.

Thats if that is what your planning on keeping :)

Good luck with the tank and your stocking, everyone here will help you as best they can.

Paul

If you can and really want to keep discus, which i would say do! they are magnificent fish with superb character.

Simply buy some i think it is JBL peat pellets. I know my local Maidenhead sell them for fairly cheap.

Half the bag in your filter should do a better change and keep the PH lowered.

Thats if that is what your planning on keeping :)

Good luck with the tank and your stocking, everyone here will help you as best they can.

Paul

Thank you for the help, I've been out of the hobby for a few years now but now my job allows me to financially get back into so i'm excited. Just have never had anything bigger than a 20 gallon so I wanna do it right. I don't want to stock and then 2 months down the road not like it.

Three feet is too small for discus, IMO.

Agreed. If it was a standard dimension tank, than discus would be okay. But your lacks length to add height and width, so you can get a bunch of smaller fish, but not a few big ones. discus should have a 4 foot minimum.

I'd suggest angelfish instead, your tank has plenty of height which they'll love you for.

Ok then help me build around Angels..or throw out some other ideas i'm open

Most reactions

Back