FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jazz_UK

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

My new 48 x 20 x 20 tank should be delivered today!! :thumbs:

My plan so that I can get fish into it quickly was to

1) Use my Eheim ext filter which I have had running in my old tank and only disconnected it last night. I have left the water in it.

2) I have taken the sand of the old tank and while draining the tank I tried to stir up the sand to remove the crud during syphoning.

3) I intend to use the filter & sand from the old tank and and add into the new water half the water from my matured 24" tank.

Am I doing anything wrong in the above?

When will I be able to add fish? I will of course do the necessary water checks before hand, but am looking for a ballpark number.

One of my friends said that I should be able to add fish within 24hrs, but his scientific explaination was that "He didn't loose a fish when he done this".

Thanks
Jazz

i did the same thing that you are planning to do, when i upgraded from a 60gallon to a 100 gallon. i was able to transfter my fish in that same day. iw as like doing a 40% water change. i took all gravel, filtration, water from the 60, and put it all into the 100, and toped of the rest. and my fish didnt even feel anything.

It might have been unwise to disconnect the filter last night. I think the bacteria colonies can only survive a short time without a flow of oxygen. Someone may correct me here, but those colonies may be lost. The gravel may still have alive bacteria, that is going to be your best bet. If all else fails try bio spira.

Jazz,

I did the same thing when going from a 25 gallon loaner tank to my 55 gallon I have now. I added the fish the same day after a few hours and the sand settling. the tank went through a mini cycle but was fully cycled within 6 days.

depends how many fish i would add them a few at a time if it where a new tank but if you test is and cycle it within a week i would say shure add about half or maybee even all if your not stocking the tank full.

I was thinking of doing the same when I get my 55 gal tank. I figured it would be like doing a big water change since I am moving gravel, filter and decorations all at once. And the fish that I have right now won't be to hard for the bacteria to keep up with(except maybe the pleco).

Gabe

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back