New Tank Ammonia/nitrite Levels

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

blw0489

Reaction score
I just started my aquarium 2 weeks ago, I did some research but I am no expert and like many others, I learned by my mistakes! my LFS never told me about cycling so I lost 3 guppies and an albino pleco by day 10. Mind you I never changed the water, everything was brand new (no bacteria).. the tank looked clean, my fish were tidy so I didn't worry about it. After doing major research i assume my tank had not cycled and the ammonia levels spiked to cause the fatalities. I have 1 guppy left, I would not have gotten guppies (LFS should have told me that) seeing as how delicate they are but this guy is really holding up! fighter. I did my research about the nitrogen cycle and bought an amazing water testing kit. I did an emergency 50% water change 48 hours ago and today the ammonia level is at .5ppm and my nitrites are between 2 - 5 ppm with nitrates at 5ppm. after the results i decided to do a 15-20% water change just to help the fish out a little.. am I on the right track? I don't think using chemicals to alter my levels is a good idea, or so I've heard.. i feel like I should let nature take it's course so I don't mess up the biological filter.. help!! poor fish.. I would have totally done a fishless cycle if I had known. p.s I don't vacuum (I have sand) and I have driftwood from the pet store tanks, live plants, filter, heater, air stone (10g).

blw0489 said:
I just started my aquarium 2 weeks ago, I did some research but I am no expert and like many others, I learned by my mistakes! my LFS never told me about cycling so I lost 3 guppies and an albino pleco by day 10. Mind you I never changed the water, everything was brand new (no bacteria).. the tank looked clean, my fish were tidy so I didn't worry about it. After doing major research i assume my tank had not cycled and the ammonia levels spiked to cause the fatalities. I have 1 guppy left, I would not have gotten guppies (LFS should have told me that) seeing as how delicate they are but this guy is really holding up! fighter. I did my research about the nitrogen cycle and bought an amazing water testing kit. I did an emergency 50% water change 48 hours ago and today the ammonia level is at .5ppm and my nitrites are between 2 - 5 ppm with nitrates at 5ppm. after the results i decided to do a 15-20% water change just to help the fish out a little.. am I on the right track? I don't think using chemicals to alter my levels is a good idea, or so I've heard.. i feel like I should let nature take it's course so I don't mess up the biological filter.. help!! poor fish.. I would have totally done a fishless cycle if I had known. p.s I don't vacuum (I have sand) and I have driftwood from the pet store tanks, live plants, filter, heater, air stone (10g).

10 Gallons was a bit too small for the BN pleco. You didi the right thing when you did water changes. Dont fret that is why this forum was made. To help people out and to connect fishkeepers. What filter media do you use btw?

blondielovesfish, how often should I do a water change and what percent of water? will this stress the fish?

Derp PH the pleco was only 1 inch long and they said he would stay around 3 inches. is that too small for a 10 gallon? I really wanted another when all this is over.

You need to do about 30-50 percent of water. Just make sure the water is dechlorinated. . Be careful though in doing water changes let the water you are gonna add be the same temp as your tank.

DerpPH said:
You need to do about 30-50 percent of water. Just make sure the water is dechlorinated. . Be careful though in doing water changes let the water you are gonna add be the same temp as your tank.
+1

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back