New Tank Advise

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

tom130691

Fishaholic
Reaction score
just got me a 64 litre tropical tank will get pics up

what sorts of fish do you own and advise to get for it as its a bit empty?

tank.jpg

have spoke to a few people that have done this before and they say get 2-3 fish to start cycling then slowly add more
the fish i like the look of are these with the rought amount of each i would like

i know this will probably be too many for my tank but the bottom few im willing to drop

2 or 3 x rainbow or platies (to start the tank cycle)
1 x pleco
2 x shark
1 x Siamese fighter
1 x catfish
2 x glass cat fish
4 x tetra

these i am willing to drop
1 x algae eater
2 x guppies
5 x danios
22 fish 64 litre tank ?

also i will be raising the filter to break the surface so i dont have to get an air pump and i have been told i will need live plants is this true?

just got me a 64 litre tropical tank will get pics up

what sorts of fish do you own and advise to get for it as its a bit empty?

tank.jpg

have spoke to a few people that have done this before and they say get 2-3 fish to start cycling then slowly add more
the fish i like the look of are these with the rought amount of each i would like

i know this will probably be too many for my tank but the bottom few im willing to drop

2 or 3 x rainbow or platies (to start the tank cycle)
1 x pleco
2 x shark
1 x Siamese fighter
1 x catfish
2 x glass cat fish
4 x tetra

these i am willing to drop
1 x algae eater
2 x guppies
5 x danios
22 fish 64 litre tank ?

also i will be raising the filter to break the surface so i dont have to get an air pump and i have been told i will need live plants is this true?

HEY! first, welcome, 2nd live plants are really good they help prevent algae and make the water condition better plus alot of types of fish love them, 22 fish is too meny for that size tank (i have a 70L but getting a 6ft soon coz i have 7 fish n six get way to big 4 a 70L) some of those fish ul need to be more specific with like the catfish and sharks (their are meny types of each) and youll have to research the size that they get to as well, i have a bala shark and a rainbow shark and the get to about 15cm (6") and at that size they will most likly eat your smaller fish but the smaller fish like danios, fancy guppies, tetras and bettas (siamese fighter) will be ok with each other and you can have more in the tank if they are all small fish, but in the wild fish like tetras are only annual fish (live for about 1 year) but in aquariums sumtimes live 2 or 3 years
a good site to do sum research on the fish u want or might want is www.badmanstropicalfish.com
and go to 'fish profiles' on the home page its realy useful

oh and one more thing, the drift wood in ur tank will release tanic acid wich will eventualy turn ur water to a tea colour
when that happens put sum activated carbon in ur filter for a while and it will clear it up good luck

There is a way to cycle without fish, although it will take time. I suggest you read the beginner stickies at the top of the forum, as they can fill you in on a number of important things.

To start with, what pleco, catfish, shark and tetras are you talking about? There are literally hundreds, and sometimes fish stores add their own names to things.

Platies could be a good choice, but unless you have all males you will have babies, and need to take that into account. Rainbow sharks get to about six inches, but balas get to at least twelve, and both are too big for your tank. Glass catfish like to be together, so you'd be looking at at least three, and they can be hard to feed. And an algea eater isn't necessary for most tanks, so if you don't want one, you don't need one. A smaller tetra would be nice, but you would need at least 6 and certain ones will make having a betta impossible, and if you want a betta, most likely guppies will be out.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back