New Saulosi Set Up

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

NickBFC

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
New to Malawi's, I have just set up my first Malawi tank after having had Gouramis, Rasboras etc for a couple of years. The set up is a 125 ltr Juwel so no room for anything bigger than Saulosi. I have 14 juveniles, eventually aiming for about 2-3 males and 9-10 females. Due to upgrade the filter to a big external, and the lighting to LED. The rock work isn't yet finished, I have two big lumps that I need to borrow a sledge hammer for to break them up
biggrin.png

may13_zpsca21b55d.jpg

may13d_zpsc7a6c360.jpg

may13c_zpsc3ea66be.jpg

may13b_zpsd7591da5.jpg

That's right, but these aren't sexed yet although I think one of the larger ones is definitely male as his stripes are starting to show through.

Hey!!! Looks good! I actually really, really like those rocks. They have so many different colors to them, and they look kinda... aged. Looks great!

Thanks! Love the rock too, wasn't keen on ocean rock although I do quite like the river rock/pebble look. Should look good when I build the rock up.

Anyone able to get me some females I have been trying everywhere I have a fully grown male an 1 female was looking a few more females cause the one I have is getting tortured by the male...

Becks1985 said:
Anyone able to get me some females I have been trying everywhere I have a fully grown male an 1 female was looking a few more females cause the one I have is getting tortured by the male...

have you tried looking on aquabid.com??

That is amazing. I'd just love to have a little pod of them...

It isn't easy to get females as far as I am aware. I am still waiting for mine to sex but I reckon I will need at least 3 more females. Some more recent pics of the tank below, added an external filter now which has helped massively, and added a few more rocks. Once the internal filter is removed I'll add a few more rocks again.

june13_zpsb7fb06d2.jpg

june13d_zps38549dce.jpg

june13c_zpsdcc65b28.jpg

june13b_zps810f752b.jpg

Looks great. You should try taking out the rock all the way to the left, and replacing it with a much bigger one. All you need is a "master stone" and it will really make this tank fantastic. I really like the placement of all the rocks, looks great! :good:

Cheers, yeah agree. Have got a bucket of bigger rocks sat in the garage. Just waiting for my new filter to be ready to go alone so I can move out the internal and create enough room :) New filters making a huge difference, so clear now looks great at night with lights on!

My external made a HUGE difference!! I would rather have my lights on at night as well :)

Fish are doing well - now have three coloured up males, so far no real trouble. I was doing a clean up/water change a few weeks ago and noticed two fry hiding under a rock. I moved them into a breeding box so they weren't eaten, sadly one died but the other is now at least 4-5 weeks old and growing nicely. Hopefully release him back into tank soon. Will take some fresh pics soon :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back