><)))*> New Project: Juwel Vision 180 Planted Journal &#60

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

RCA

Fish Herder
Reaction score
As promised here is the start of the journey, enjoy...

For me there has always been something about a Juwel Aquarium, and then one day I picked up an absolute bargain.  Although I have a number of Aquariums, I am hoping this one will become the real showcase.  As my ten year old Nephew said when I bought it, I think this is your best tank - and it is empty - from the mouths of babes
huh.png
  That is not to say my other aquariums are not pleasing to the eye, with stunning fish and plants, if I say so myself, it is just this one fits in so well with the furniture.

So it all started in this discussion
Plans For New Planted Aquarium: Juwel Vision 180
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/416088-plans-for-new-planted-aquarium-juwel-vision-180/

This is what I will be working with:
Juwel Vision 180L
x2 Eheim External Eco Pro 2036 Filters
Items came with tank - second hand - except the wood items and the central ornament you can see in the picture.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:68938]

Planned Substrate
Pea Gravel to build up the back on the tank followed by
JBL Aqua Basis Plus, topped with the Unipac Senegal Sand and possibly Black Sand on the back level (TBD)

Have just returned with the bags of Pea Gravel and the Terrace I am planning to use.

Terrace
Juwel Terrace Rock A x1
Juwel Terrace Rock B x2
Layout plan is to run it from the front to the back across the middle of the tank, it will be easier to show you later in situ.

Background
Decided not to go with a 3D structured background, as lovely as they are, as it meant laying the tank down for a few days, as well as additional cost that I would rather spend on
fish.gif
and plants.  At this stage it will stay with what is on there, with the right side next to the wall, possibly having a black background added in due course (TBD)

Plants
I am no plant expert so am open to ideas from anyone out there who knows more.  Although I do have some lovely plants in my other Aquariums I do not know there names, yet!  I have just ordered some plant books and pending their arrival.
These are the ones I believe I would like:
  • LIMNOPHILA AROMATICA - understand it needs high light levels but it looks awesome in a show tank nearby
  • ANUBIAS - just got these, three varieties, will be housed in other aquarium for the time being
  • JAVA FERN
  • FOREGROUND PLANT: I will find out what it is called and get back to you
  • Some sort of Carpeting Plant,
    Dunno.gif
    open to ideas
Planned Fish
This is partly why it has been empty for a long time, oh what to put in it, so many choices? 
Thinking maybe Killifish, but unsure at present, a lot more research needed.

So far, I would like, when the tank is mature enough:
  • Corydoras Black Venezuela x6
  • Corydoras Orange Lazer x6
Cycling - apart from a lot on my bike to get stuff ...
Plan to do a fish-less cycle using mature media from existing tanks.

C02
Not planned at this stage of the project as to whether to include it - thoughts welcome or I may start another topic on C02?

Timeline
Slow to Medium, please be patient with me.
I have a lot of other tanks that need my attention, plus the >^..^< soon lets me know when she feels neglected - like now "meow, meow..."!

Help me out
I am open to any ideas on plants, fish, lighting or anything else you know and wish to share, thanks in advance.

For me this is one of the most enjoyable parts of the forum, seeing other people's projects blossom whilst learning along the way. 
I hope you all enjoy the journey as much as I will...I look forward to sharing it with you and getting your ideas and inputs...
sorcerer.gif

Sounds like it's going to be a fun journey and I look forward to seeing it progress through the various stages.

Nice, this should be interesting. I'd never heard of orange lazer cories but I looked them up and they're stunning! :)

Excited to see how this progresses *gets popcorn*

Killis are lovely - big fan of lyretails myself.

Yes this is a popcorn moment, I'm also looking forward to this project as I ave the exact same tank so I'm sure I will get some good ideas :D

TallTree01 said:
Nice, this should be interesting. I'd never heard of orange lazer cories but I looked them up and they're stunning!
smile.png

Maedhros said:
Excited to see how this progresses *gets popcorn*

Killis are lovely - big fan of lyretails myself.

Shelster said:
Yes this is a popcorn moment, I'm also looking forward to this project as I ave the exact same tank so I'm sure I will get some good ideas
biggrin.png

Thanks for all the replies and interest in this project, you too Mamashack.  Yes, Talltree01 the Corys I am planning are indeed stunning and I am hoping the substrate will compliment them. 

I feel I need to go into selling "popcorn", sorry but you all may have to eat quite a lot of it!

Shelster, there is nothing like pressure
wink.png
, tell me is your tank already up and running, or a project pending like mine?  If the former what do you have in it?

I have not made much progress as I am
sick.gif
at the moment, and the new pea gravel to build up the back is now under a thin layer of snow!  As you all encouraged me I felt I would take a picture of the Terrace plan.

What do you think?  On the left it will come forward slightly than in the picture to allow for planting in the corner, but the idea was to have it running diagonally across so that it was not a 50/50 split straight down the middle.

P1070316-Copy_zps159c9a6e.jpg

It's up and running, I'm adding more plants tomorrow and ill put a pick up if all goes to plan.

If you mean stock wise, it is heavily stocked but I am very thorough with my weekly maintenance routine :D

5 honey gourami
9 glowlight tetra
6 harlequin rasbora
7 neon tetra
3 cories
2 polka dot 1 Pakistani loach.

My parameters are always good, it is heavily planted too, I'm just hoping to have a change around tomorrow.

Ha ha yes I did think we are putting the pressure on :D

Shelster said:
It's up and running, I'm adding more plants tomorrow and ill put a pick up if all goes to plan.

If you mean stock wise, it is heavily stocked but I am very thorough with my weekly maintenance routine
biggrin.png

[deleted text]
3 cories

My parameters are always good, it is heavily planted too, I'm just hoping to have a change around tomorrow.

Ha ha yes I did think we are putting the pressure on
biggrin.png

Yes please, start a topic on it with pics of its changes ;)  Is it the one in your signature - looks well laid out.

My current large Aquarium is quite heavily stocked but it is running two filters, one overhead and one external which is larger than required, and like you regular maintenance is done on it and all is well.  Some fish may move into this new tank though, yet to decide.  I think the Kuhlis/Javas are there to stay though - every tried to catch the slippery little
devil.gif
?

What Corys do you have?

Yup, felt the pressure, well done all of you.  If I was not
sick.gif
it would be further forward.  I think my nephew maybe coming over tomorrow (not the one in my signature, that is my g-nephew) and he may be in the mood to help - here's hoping!

Am sitting comfortably with a coffee - let the show begin! lol

Aye it's the one in my sig, the stones change form every week when I clean them though :D

I have bought some new plants etc so having a shuffle around. Yes ok I will and we can compare notes :D

greenmumma141 said:
Grand nephew. Her nephew or niece had a baby 
smile.png

Correct, thanks for answering it for me, my niece did, and as you can see in the signature he is a stunner.

Just to keep you all updated (although I put it in the other post linked to this) and hoping you are not all about to burst with popcorn, I am going fish shopping tomorrow, which includes getting the media bags needed for this project
yahoo.gif
Then Sunday my 11 y/o Nephew is coming so fins crossed he wants to wash gravel and prepare the 180L by cleaning it
yes.gif
   I will put the camera away, as last time he did THIS instead.

Thanks all for your patience, I hope it will be duly rewarded ...

This is what we got up to on Sunday.

Small hands helped getting the cables sorted, what a blessing
P1070719-Copy_zps7d5b4bc3.jpg

Getting things ready
P1070723-Copy_zpsc2457fe8.jpg

Juwel Terrace Layout from above
P1070724-Copy_zpsfbdebd89.jpg

We then plumbed in the two Eheim Filters, I did the left hand side while my nephew did the right hand side
smile.png
  Do not have a picture of us actually doing that, but you can always Google it if you are so inclined
wink.png

Eheim Filters completed
P1070725-Copy_zps55abb9b2.jpg

It is amazing how dirty pea gravel is...
P1070726-Copy_zps9a54ee09.jpg

Media bag is pulling apart!
P1070727-Copy_zpsfa8d2520.jpg

Filling the media bag with gravel
P1070730-Copy_zpsab0e01a8.jpg

My Nephew washing pea gravel
P1070731-Copy_zps7be9a9ca.jpg

Interestingly enough he said he preferred washing the gravel, in fact enjoyed it, compared to plumbing in the filters!

P1070732-Copy_zps8a2acb56.jpg

Rocks in place to prevent Terrace from moving forward
P1070733-Copy_zpsdac78319.jpg

At last enough pea gravel
P1070735-Copy_zps2d0dc7db.jpg

Used extra media bags on top
P1070736-Copy_zps67eb4ad2.jpg

Media bags right into the corner
P1070737-Copy_zps3d98728d.jpg

So that is the completion of the preparation of the pea gravel and terrace, we continued on, more to follow shortly ...

It's looking good RCA! You've got a great little helper there - do you loan him out at a reasonable rate? lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back