New Panda Cories

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CluelessScot

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got 4 Panda corys and they are tiny, about the size of a penny and they are super cute :D They are being kept in a 5gallon tank at the moment untill i can put them in my 45g. Got a few questions tho,

1. Will a 5 gallon tank be ok for them?
2. What should i feed them. I was thinking an alge wafer and bloodworm/brime shrimp ever 3~4 days? or a bit of flake every day too?
3. How long would you think it would take them to grow to around an inch or inch 1/2?

Thanks

Kev

Hi CluelessScot :)

Congratulations! :thumbs: You are going to love those little guys! :wub:

They should be fine in your 5 gallon tank for quite a few months, as long as it is cycled and the heat is a constant temperature between 72-77 degrees F. It's a good idea to do more water changes than you do with your other fish too, because they are somewhat delicate for corys.

The females only reach about 2" and the males 1 1/2" when they are full grown, and they grow slowly. If you can get a few more, there will be room for them for quite a while. It might take as much as a year for them to mature. When they do, they will spawn regularly for you.

While they are growing, I like to feed them lots of meaty food like blackworms and/or bloodworms and spirulina discs at night. (They can stay in overnight and if any is left you can remove it in the morning.) A little flake is good to balance their diet. Just be very careful that they eat it all.

Best of luck with them! :D

Thanks for the reply inchworm :)

The other week my lfs got in about 4 different types of cory :eek: they have C.julli, Shwartzi (sp), panda, venesvalue or sommint like that... looks like bronze cory but they are more orange. The plan was to put them in my larger tank but they are so small and by putting them in the smaller tank i will be able to keep an eye on them all the time. They are really cute :) i will get some pics tomorrow if i can and post them in the new pinned section.

Kev

Hi CluelessScot :)

You're lucky to have a good lfs with a nice selection of corys. I've never run into a C. venezuelanus around here and it's one that's on my want list. They do look a lot like the bronzes.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/calli...ydora/716_F.PHP

Your little panda will do better in the smaller tank where they are by themselves. They don't do well with stress and there they can have a safe and peaceful environment to grow up in. :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back