New (Old) 72 Gallon Bowfront!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

watertown28

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So I picked up this nice 72 gallon bow front tank for really cheap ($75). The only problem is that it needed to be re sealed.

Needless to say , I did that. Finally decided not half a## it and took my time. Granted my bead is all messy... but, I was on my own and most of you might know silicone drys very fast! Anyways, I started to fill the tank slowly yesterday to check for leaks. I am over half full now without water everywhere!!! Im gonna add more water here and there might take until tomorrow to finish filling.

My only real worry atm is this:

In the top corner there is a "chip" about the size of a half dollar in the glass. Now... this chip does not go all the way though the glass. I think this is why it was sold as a leaker. Sadly, when I did get it, most of the old silicone was already stripped... hence the reason why I got it cheap. He gave me a Marineland Penguin 350B filter with it along with a 300 watt heater. I dont think I will use the heater though unless you all think its safe to do so. With that said, this chip should not be an issue? I guess my thinking is if it does leak there I can always make sure of the lower water level... only going to lose an inch or two... that wont bother me.

The next question is, what should I stock in it? I love tropical type fish, and I would like a community type deal. I would also like to get into the "harder" fish and a little bit more rare ( well not rare so to say, but uncommon )

This will be located in the basement and it might be a little chilly. I can get another heater to help stabilize the water temps if needed if that is the case.

I tend on doing a fish less cycle too... unless you all think it is okay to go ahead and pop a few starter fish in there. My little 10 gallon has not lost a fish yet ( know on wood ) and I have added to more fish to the tank and all is well ( the leak on the small one is my fault for not thinking ahead... not one died though so all is well )

What ya all think?

As far as the chip in your glass....I'm guessing its like a divit. Depending if it is on the front or side you can reinforce it or hide it using some things you can get at Home Depot.
Get a strong water proof epoxy and a black rubber or plastic door sweep, or something like that.
Then, if it is in the front, cut whatever material you chose so it will fit corner to corner and snug against the top frame of the tank. Glue that in place over the chip. It will hide it, reinforce that weak spot, and will not be so noticeable. The idea is to make it look like part of the tank frame.

You can start with some fish right away if you use 1/3 of you filter media from the 10gl.

As far as fish...water stats are important for "more advanced" fish.

If you have the water for it...I like SA chichlids

Gluck

Ha! When I first replied to your post I was thinking "man...some guys have all the luck. Nothing like that ever happens to me."

Just picked up a used 46gl bowfront for $25! Perfect condition. No scratches, no leaks. Just looks like nobody loved it for awhile because its absolutely filthy!!

Finally got a bit of luck!

Nice pick up Steve.
For watertown28, I would avoid ever filling that tank to a point where the thin part of the glass must support any load. That probably means, as you have said, that you should keep the level below the broken part of the glass. A chip may or may not weaken a tank but one the size of a half dollar, size of a 2 pound coin, would definitely do it, in my opinion. I only accept very small chips in corners by comparison. One that goes part way through the glass and is less than 1/4 inch, 0.5 cm, in diameter is about my limit.

Most reactions

trending

Back