New Nano Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

aussieant32

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi All

I'm a veteran reefkeeper but it has been a long time since I have had any freshwater fish. I have a few questions :)

I was gifted a nano tank (30L) which is currently cycling. It will cycle for about 3-4 weeks as I am going overseas and do not want it stocked prior.

I have started to think about suitable fish for this tank once it is ready. Now I do not have any other freshwater tanks so this will be its permanent home.

Originally I was thinking 3-4 pygmy corys and a betta but have seen that now days there are a few more fish suited to the nano environment available. I am really open to suggestions.

Does anyone have any suggestions on some fish suited to this size tank? I am quite conscious of my fish's quality of life so anything that will 'do ok' isn't really on the table.

Thank you all!!

Last edited:
If you are getting a Betta then forget about tank mates in a 30 L tank.
What sort of tank is it?

Just a tank. Added a heater and hob I had lying around.

So why would a betta cause a problem for a pygmy cory?

Male Bettas are solitary fish and best kept that way, Your tank is too small for Cories.

reccomdation for pygmeus is 3l per specimen?

any suggestions then rather just saying no to every idea?

Can you tell us about your tap water first please, is it hard or soft?

it can be anything. base will be RO so can build to anything to suit inhabitants requirements

What are the dimensions of the tank?

While it may be true that you need around 3L for each C.Pygmaeus, that is a rule of thumb. It doesn't mean you can keep 1 C.Pygmaeus in a 3L tank. When Nick says your tank is "too small" for Cories, what he doesn't mean is physical size, he means that the Cories will be too active for that size of tank. Also, Bettas can be highly aggressive and territorial fish, to the point where some will kill everything else in the tank. Regardless of shape, size, colour or anything else.

The two options I would consider for this tank would be:
1. A Betta.
2. A shrimp tank.

Other fish are probably either too big or too active for the size of the tank.

not considering shrimp. used to keep and breed them. dont want to again.

Only got my info on pygmeus from TFK magazine. They set a tank up with 15 in a 45l tank as they only max at abouy 1cm or so. Always thought its info was pretty accurate, guess its not.

I have no issues with it just being a betta. Just throught I might get some more options as there are numerous other fish that thrive in small tanks like this. A breeding pair of Tanganyiken shell dwellers which I kept for 10 years in tanks of this sizr for example. Was hoping a forum of enthusiasts may come up with more than a betta, hence the question :)

Luckily your little tank is a good length, so there are a few species you could keep, IMO.

Ember tetras, celestial pearl danios or dwarf emerald danios (they're not very active compared to most danios) are all possibilities. They're all quite shy, so need densely planted tanks and a fairly large shoal, but you could do eight or ten of any one of those species, but you must make sure your maintenance schedule is kept up. Or you could do male Endlers.

thank you!! will look into all those options.

my main display tank is a 1600L reef tank so this will be a breeze to maintain. its on my desk in my study so ill see it every day.

although the more i think about it the more i like the idea of saving a betta from those awful holding tanks at the lfs

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back