What's new

New Molly is very aggressive?

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

rebelboiis221101

Reaction score
To start off this is a fairly new tank (38 gal) it has been slowly added too and it is well established at this point. I went and picked up 3 new mollies yesterday and the black Molly (if it makes a difference) is fin nipping and nipping at the face of my other mollies. She is a female and my tank consisting of 8 fish. 2 males 5 females and a baby that my first fish had and didn't eat. I've had A LOT of Molly's before and my daughter decided to dump something in the tank and they all passed so this is my new tank startup and I've never seen this kind of behavior from mollies before? What can be done to help them out? Seems to be mostly during feedings( 3x a day) but I have seen her nipping in-between as well. She does NOT look to be pregnant and is not birthing fry at this point. My other fish really don't fight back either. Help me help my other fishys! thanks

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk

Do you have a nursery net or breeder box that can float in the tank? If so, put her in time out for a few hours. If that doesn’t work, move it up to a day. If not, several days. She will eventually figure out that her nipping has consequences. She can also get use to the other fish while safely in the breeder box. We do it with female bettas in a sorority tank. After several times and several days mine figured it out. Now peacefully in with others.

I will try that. Thank you! Now I noticed another bigger fish chasing a smaller one now not nipping but can't seem to catch up. The chasing fish is one of the bullied by the black fish. Is this newly found bully coming from being nipped up by the other fish or do I have 2 buttheads on my hands? Doesn't come off as playing as the other fish doesn't seem to Keen to have attention. Man for being a rather laid back breed they sure seem to be acting like a more aggressive fish. Do you think it could be just figuring out who is the alpha of the tank or just plain bullying? (Sense they all just met) thanks again

Do you have a nursery net or breeder box that can float in the tank? If so, put her in time out for a few hours. If that doesn’t work, move it up to a day. If not, several days. She will eventually figure out that her nipping has consequences

No, no she wont figure it out all you are doing is stressing the fish out more which will cause it to be more aggressive.

She is a new fish and has to find her place in the pecking order.

Geez time outs for fish LOL, checks date to see if its April 1

No, no she wont figure it out all you are doing is stressing the fish out more which will cause it to be more aggressive.

She is a new fish and has to find her place in the pecking order.

Geez time outs for fish LOL, checks date to see if its April 1
I thought it was a very interesting way of solving the issue [emoji23]. So you think that it will start to work out once everyone gets their place in the tank then?

Its a Molly so it should settle down, shes showing them whos boss.

A few nipped fins are no big deal as long as the water is kept clean they will heal.

If you want to see aggression try keeping a Betta sorority and adding a new female. I have 6 in the same tank.

Its a Molly so it should settle down, shes showing them whos boss.

A few nipped fins are no big deal as long as the water is kept clean they will heal.

If you want to see aggression try keeping a Betta sorority and adding a new female. I have 6 in the same tank.
Im mostly new to this. I moved into a house that had this tank left and fully stocked with mollies and up to the point my kid decided to kill them all it was great they all got along and all I had Todo was feed and water change. Now with new fish I was confused cause from what I read and personally seen they where very submissive and easy going everybody was happy. Now it seems like they all want to kick each others butts while my littler fish are running like heck (lone survivors of killer kid) lol.

Nick, why can’t you disagree without being so rude all the time? The mods need to address this with you! It is quite common in the betta community to put females in time out in new sororities. Just because you disagree does not make it wrong. It works. I have done it. Period.

I will try that. Thank you! Now I noticed another bigger fish chasing a smaller one now not nipping but can't seem to catch up. The chasing fish is one of the bullied by the black fish. Is this newly found bully coming from being nipped up by the other fish or do I have 2 buttheads on my hands? Doesn't come off as playing as the other fish doesn't seem to Keen to have attention. Man for being a rather laid back breed they sure seem to be acting like a more aggressive fish. Do you think it could be just figuring out who is the alpha of the tank or just plain bullying? (Sense they all just met) thanks again

Yes, it could be a pecking order. Give it some time but don’t let them get hurt.

Separating a fish causes stress, its why we dont recommend separating a pregnant live bearer from the group

You cant change a fishes behavior with time outs like you can a child's.

By your reasoning I can get 2 male Bettas and put them in the same tank then if they fight I can put the aggressor in a time out cup and eventually the 2 male Bettas will not fight?

Would this logic also apply to a bonded breeding pair of Angel fish? Just put them in timeout if they are aggressive?

PS
And if you do not like my replies hit the report button and the moderators will deal with it.

Last edited:
To the OP, it does work. Not going to waste anymore time with Nick on this though. I encourage you to try it. Allowing fish to chase others causes stress too and that is what we are trying to remedy. If you Google placing fish in timeout, you can read on it and the theory behind it. Good luck!

Last edited:
Separating a fish causes stress, its why we dont recommend separating a pregnant live bearer from the group

You cant change a fishes behavior with time outs like you can a child's.

By your reasoning I can get 2 male Bettas and put them in the same tank then if they fight I can put the aggressor in a time out cup and eventually the 2 male Bettas will not fight?

Would this logic also apply to a bonded breeding pair of Angel fish? Just put them in timeout if they are aggressive?

PS
And if you do not like my replies hit the report button and the moderators will deal with it.
Just be nice. That’s all I’m asking. It’s not just to me. You are rude to others with your smart elic replies too. Just be nice.

Hit the report button.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back