The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Quinnster

Reaction score
Hello everybody,
Iā€™m new to this hobby, after 40 years being a fisherman, my love of fish made my buy my first tank.
Itā€™s 70ltr and itā€™s my first week, so Iā€™d appreciate any advice on getting my tank right before I introduce my fish!
I think Iā€™ve regressed to childhood, Iā€™m so excited by it all
Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Okay so to start with might I suggest reading up one the section that deals with cycling your tank. This is vitally important to the fishes wellbeing.

Also what do you want the end result of this tank to be

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

This is the link for fishless cycling http://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

It would be a great help for choosing fish if you find out how hard your tap water is. That information should be somewhere on your water company's website - we need the number and the units (they could use any one of half a dozen different units). Fish need to be kept in water of the same hardness as the river/lake they evolved in.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Okay so to start with might I suggest reading up one the section that deals with cycling your tank. This is vitally important to the fishes wellbeing.

Also what do you want the end result of this tank to be

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Thanks Sean!
Ive started off since my post, Iā€™ll spare you the long details haha, but I tested all levels (except carbon) and got everything stable.
I introduced 3 black mollies 4 days ago and all is stable, they are very settled and looking healthy so far.
So could you offer advice or a pointer on how things are going considering the details below please
70litre, water treated with tap safe
15 various plants
7.5 PH
2.0 Nitrite
0. Ammonia
5.0 Nitrate
I appreciate any advice, thanks

A nitrite reading of 2.0 is dangerously high. You need to do a very large water change to get it down to zero. If necessary, multiple water changes. With very large water changes make sure the new water is as close to the tank temperature as possible.
The levels of both ammonia and nitrite should be kept as near to zero as possible, which means daily testing and lots of water changes.

What kind of tester are you using? It is unusual to have zero ammonia and a reading for nitrite so early after getting fish.

But I have to tell you that mollies are big fish and they need a tank that is 36 inches/90 cm long at the minimum. How long is your 70 litre tank?
And is you water hard to very hard? Mollies suffer if they are kept in softer water.

Wow,
Firstly, itā€™s the API test kit, Iā€™m following the instructions as carefully as I can, but itā€™s all new
I see the tank is on the small side, I got Mollys for their hardiness to get me started off, but itā€™s not forever, but a small community is my goal.
Can I do daily half water changes? My concern is keeping the filters in a good state, (cleaning them in the siphoned tank water only, then replacing them)

I presumed (doh!) that water hardness would be treated by the tap safe product? Iā€™m Manchester, so tap water can be neutral to soft, rarely hard,
Thanks again

You have to be guided by the amount of ammonia or nitrite, you can't change a given volume. The water changes need to be big enough and often enough to keep them both at zero. The filter bacteria won't be harmed by water changes unless you forget to add dechlorinator. The filter bacteria live in the biofilm which is bound to surfaces so changing the water doesn't remove any bacteria.

When you say Tap Safe, do you mean a product made by Interpet, Bioactive Tap Safe? According to Interpet's website, this removes chlorine and heavy metals, contains aloe vera (which is unnecessary) and "beneficial bacteria to help maintain a healthy balance in your aquarium" which is mainly hype. It does nothing for water hardness.
If you have soft water, the mollies will not stay happy for very long. They need hard water. The best thing you can do is to return them to the shop and do a fishless cycle - see the link in the post higher up. Then choose fish that like soft water. To see just how soft your water is, look on your water company's website, it should be there somewhere. If it is United Utilities just type your postcode in here

The best site for researching fish is Seriously Fish. Their profiles tell you what hardness and pH a fish needs, what size tank they need and what temperature they need.

And to warn you - don't believe anything a fish shop says till have have researched it for yourself. There are good shop workers but they are few and far between. The rest will tell you any rubbish to make a sale.

Right!
Iā€™m surprised after checking the water website, good info thanks.
The biofilm is lighter than previously, a few days back it was a good coating, now, not so.
Iā€™ll do a large water change tomorrow, thinking about it, I canā€™t remember adding quick start to the last water change I did, so that will help.
I understand it will be more work to keep the mollys happy and I might not succeed, but the wife loves them now, so Iā€™ll try it Iā€™m afraid lol
Thanks again Iā€™m on it!

You can't actually see the biofilm except on the glass where it looks like a faint haze. If you mean the brown goo that build up in the filter, that is fish poo, uneaten food and bits of dead plants that get sucked in. It needs cleaning off the filter media in old tank water taken out during a water change, but gently as the biolfilm under the goo won't be firmly attached yet.

Ok, itā€™s something I will be aware of, thanks
Did a water change and everything is settled, cleaned the bottom and filter, levels are good, Ni is hovering around zero as is Na. Found 2 tiny snails, which must have come from my plants, so Iā€™ll keep this water change regime and hopefully things will settle
Thanks form the help Sean

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back