New member & tanks

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

DeniseTed

Reaction score
Hello folks, I'm from northern New Jersey. I am alone in my interest in aquarium keeping as my husband and teen son don't share my awe and enjoyment of it. I am an animal lover, gardener and artist.

I found this forum while Googling for info on my cichlid. What was sold to me months ago as a Jellybean, I now know is simply a Balloon/Dwarf Pink Convict cichlid. One of your members posted some years ago that she had several tanks full of these fish and had bred them. Her posted photos match my fish so I am grateful for the forum keeping those pics in their files this long.

I have a bunch of small tanks with plans to get larger when our house addition is completed and I can again have access to an empty basement.

I'm going to try and post a few photos. I plan on aquascaping larger tanks in future with nano schooling fish. For now I'm scaping plants to propagate for myself, so my tanks are a bit of hodgepodge of plants with no design yet. I would like to breed some fish for the experience of it. I really don't have space for grow out tanks right now.

I have schools of Rummy Nose Tetra, Green Fire Tetra, Norman's Lampeye Killifish, a Dwarf Sunset Gourami, Cherry Barbs, German Blue Rams & common Otocinclus. I have various snails, Amano shrimp and lots of neocaridina shrimp of various kinds in most of the tanks keeping them breed specific for now.

My ideal fish room would have a desk/computer area w/comfy chair like the one I am sitting in now. I love to break from the computer, swivel my chair and watch my fish tanks. I will have to lay out my basement room to allow me to do the same, just having the space for larger tanks.

Looking forward to perusing the forum files and enjoying the experience. Glad to have found you.

My 20g planted, kitchen 10g w/moss wall and cups & saucers, dwarf pink convict cichlid tank (he's in a cave).

Attachments

• rsz_2018may20g.jpg
    rsz_2018may20g.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 548
  • rsz_2018kitchtank.jpg
    rsz_2018kitchtank.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 529
  • rsz_2018cichlidtank.jpg
    rsz_2018cichlidtank.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 536
Sorry for the staggered pics. I had to resize then had a couple upside down. Here's a bunch of blue shrimp I caught running an illegal snail fighting ring. Also a pic of my dwarf pink convict.

Attachments

• rsz_2018blueshrimp.jpg
    rsz_2018blueshrimp.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 476
  • rsz_2018ballooncichlid (1).jpg
    rsz_2018ballooncichlid (1).jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 461
Welcome. Those look like lovely tanks. I have my nano next to my desk for exactly the same reason, and that's where my community tank lived before I got the nano.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

buying Jellybeans hey, you must have a sweet tooth :)

Hello and welcome from another Jersey person!!! I'm south Jersey though. I'm right in-between the shores and Philly. And am surrounded by woods and crops. I'm guessing you're closer to NY?

Anyway your tanks look Amazing and I'm looooooving your blue shrimp colony!
I also saw some orange? shrimp in your first thread, second pic.

Hello and welcome from another Jersey person!!! I'm south Jersey though. I'm right in-between the shores and Philly. And am surrounded by woods and crops. I'm guessing you're closer to NY?

Anyway your tanks look Amazing and I'm looooooving your blue shrimp colony!
I also saw some orange? shrimp in your first thread, second pic.

I'm in north west Jersey so we're in the middle of farms and woods too. Love it!

The orange are Orange Sakura shrimp which are great breeders. The blue shrimp tank has 2 kinds: a darker Blue Dream and a lighter blue I can't recall at the moment. I have a vessel tank with Red Cherry shrimp as well. I used to have some Crystal Black in the vessel tank but at the time I had a Betta in there and he hunted them for sport. I like buying shrimp from The Shrimp Farm as they are great communicators and send healthy berried shrimp so you get a big start up colony. Their price is good and delivery well timed.

I'm in north west Jersey so we're in the middle of farms and woods too. Love it!

The orange are Orange Sakura shrimp which are great breeders. The blue shrimp tank has 2 kinds: a darker Blue Dream and a lighter blue I can't recall at the moment. I have a vessel tank with Red Cherry shrimp as well. I used to have some Crystal Black in the vessel tank but at the time I had a Betta in there and he hunted them for sport. I like buying shrimp from The Shrimp Farm as they are great communicators and send healthy berried shrimp so you get a big start up colony. Their price is good and delivery well timed.

Ohhh Great info thanks!!! I have a tiny little fluval edge and have 3 red, 1 blue and one black, and 1 Amano. All male. I don't really want breeding (although it must be so much fun to see and experience) because of size and I wanted different colors. Oddly I actually picked correctly and they are all male. I thought for sure I'd have an oops.

Ohhh Great info thanks!!! I have a tiny little fluval edge and have 3 red, 1 blue and one black, and 1 Amano. All male. I don't really want breeding (although it must be so much fun to see and experience) because of size and I wanted different colors. Oddly I actually picked correctly and they are all male. I thought for sure I'd have an oops.

Well they recommend 10 shrimp per gallon as a going amount so you have some space for more. *wink

Here's a short video of my vase tank which is maybe 2-3 gallons. The berried cherry females gave birth and their babies grew quickly into a rowdy active group of shrimp. They get their exercise by swimming in circles together and zooming around. Then they get down to business and eat for awhile.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back