New Lighting for 36 Gallon Bow Front

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ed21

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the form and have been searching for a new light for a 36 gallon bow front aquarium.
I have a hood to the aquarium and would like to just buy a new florescent light if that is possible but, I can only find full hood replacements for 36 gallon bow front aquariums. Are full hood replacements the only replacement I can get for a 36 gallon bow front aquarium?
Another question I have is if it is safe to put an LED light on top of the existing plastic hood and if it is safe what size and type of LED light should I get for the aquarium light? The light doesn't have to special for plants or specific fish its just for lighting the aquarium

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Out of curiosity, what is wrong with the current light unit?

Most light units will last for years so unless the current one has blown up, there is no reason to change it.

If the globe has gone you can replace them, and you should replace the starter in the light unit whenever you replace the globe. Globes from a hardware are normally a lot cheaper than the pet shop.

If you get a new light, try to get a globe with a 6500K (K is for Kelvin) rating.

You can buy fluorescent light units and LED light units from any hardware store or lighting store, and most pet shops should carry them too. Then you remove the old light unit and put the new one in its place.

-----------------------------
LED lights are fine but the globes generally are not as bright as fluorescent or incandescent globes, however they can be cheaper to run and usually last a lot longer because the LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes) don't wear out.

Thank you for the info but, my Aquarium was bought used and did not come with a light and I need a new light unit. I also haven't found any light units that would fit on the 36 gallon bow front. The only time I have found a light unit that would fit on the aquarium is when purchasing a whole new hood with it but, I don't need a hood just a light unit. The aquarium hood itself is about 30 inches long and the clear plastic part where the light shines through is about 28 inches long.

Last edited:
For tanks that are 30 inches long, the standard light units are 30 inches but they use a 24 inch globe. If you want fluorescent light, then buy a 2ft light unit and bolt it in. Otherwise do a goggle search or ask some of the people on here about LEDs. There are a number of LED light units that can be varied in length.
eg: they fit on tanks that are 24 inches to 36 inches long, or anything in between.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back