New Ideas Needed Re: Surface Film

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

coolie

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Surface skin has got worse, I tried the newspaper method, and it didn't really work, I don't want to airate as I am doing DIY CO2.
I even tried cutting up some polypropylene sheet but it didn't stick to that. I have filter papers, do you think lining a net with filter paper and
lodging it suspended from the hood of the tank would work?

Hi yes, got good movement. You can see the oily residue moving around on it.

Do you use any moisturiser or similar products? Things like them or sun tan lotion can cause oily surface films, as can certain foods.

Otherwise it's back to surface movement, and I know what you mean about not wanting to clear the CO2, it's a fine balance.

No - I thinl it's cheap flake food that does it, but  I have a lot to get through.

Hi

Do you have an internal or external filter i have an external one and modified the intake pipe with a T piece so i had the normal postion and another intake just below the surface so it acted like a wier worked a treat.

It's an internal power head unfortunately. I was wondering if something like straw would absorb it - you know how they use bales of straw to soak up an oil spill?

Hi there.  Do you have a large amount of plants ?  I see you said you use CO2 so am assuming the tank is quite heavily planted.  The more plants you have the more likely you will get surface film.  The cause is partly because the plants are not entirely happy.  BUT when you do water changes in a planted tank you should do more than just syphon off some water and refill.  You need to get your hands in there and shake the stems up a bit, and stir up the bottom and suck out all the muck.  Plants develop a kind of film around them and thats why you need to shake them up a bit.  You may be doing this already but I did not see mention of your maintenance regime.  50% every week in a planted tank.  Twice a week if you are encountering issues such as this.  And on a daily basis get an ice cream tub and hold it just below the water level and the scum will drain into the tub...   

You said you didnt want to aerate because of the CO2.  That is a bit of a misnomer.  Of course you want to keep the CO2 in, and you need to ensure that its getting distributed throughout the whole tank at all levels, but planted tanks do benefit from aeration.  You can counter lost CO2 due to this aeration by upping your CO2 injection rate.  Or if it really bothers you, just aerate after CO2 hours.

Tom Barr who is a very successful planted tank expert in America (and many others) all have higher levels of O2 in their tanks and claim its a big factor in a successful tank.  It has the added benefit of maintaining more o2 in the tank and therefore reduces the risk of gassing your fish :)

Good luck

Surface skimmer? Heard good things about an eheim one that's really small, can't remember the model name though.

I've just ordered a little external filter by hydor that has one built into the intake - hasn't arrived yet though!

Eheim skim 350

Best £20 I have spent on my tanks in a while. I was also suffering with an oily scum but this little skimmer sucks it all up leaving the surface crystal clear.

It was recommended to me by Ian who used to be a mod here.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back