New here

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

B_36269

Reaction score
Hi I'm new here:) I don't have fish at the moment but have had bettas in the past :fish:

I have a question I hope more experienced members can answer: Do fish gulp at the water surface when they are hungry? Someone told me this and it doesn't make any sense. I know fish gulp at the water surface if the oxygen level is too low or the water quality is bad. But gulping when hungry? ????

Welcome to the forum :)

Most fish learn where the food comes from, and many of the more intelligent fish, like cichlids, bettas and goldfish can easily be taught (even by accident, on the part of the owner) to beg for food. All it needs is for someone to drop some food in when they see the fish 'looking hungry', and the fish will soon learn to repeat the action!

We used to have an oscar that 'taught' my son to feed him on command, by jumping up and hitting the condensation tray. As soon as he heard Gormok (the oscar) doing it, my son would rush off and feed him :)

But you must be careful! Fish don't have the feedback mechanism that mammals do, that tells them when they're full, so if there is food there, they'll carry on eating and it can make them sick, as well as polluting the tank, as the extra food passes pretty much straight through them undigested.

Hope that answers your question :)

Fish gasp at the surface if oxygen levels are too low, carbon dioxide levels are to high or they are suffocating. Goldfish and some other fish will swim around just under the surface and look for food. They open and close their mouth when they do this and it looks like they are taking in mouthfuls of air. This is sometimes referred to as gulping because it resembles fish struggling to breath.

Some fish will also shoot to the surface and take a mouthful of air occasionally. My corydoras do it. I have never kept betta but they are capable of breathing air so some may do the same.

Some fish will also shoot to the surface and take a mouthful of air occasionally. My corydoras do it. I have never kept betta but they are capable of breathing air so some may do the same.

That's very true, thanks for pointing that out :)

Most catfish and loaches do keep a bubble of air in their gut, which they replace at intervals by gulping in a new bubble from the surface and getting rid of the old one from the 'other end', if you know what I mean ;)

And bettas certainly gulp at the surface to replenish the air in their labyrinth organ, along with the other labyrinth fishes, like gouramis.

Thanks for the welcome:) The fish in question are danio reiro, or zebra fish. I've never seen them gulp at the water surface in between set feeding times. The person is insistent that all fish gulp at the water surface if they're hungry :dunno:

Thanks for the welcome:) The fish in question are danio reiro, or zebra fish. I've never seen them gulp at the water surface in between set feeding times. The person is insistent that all fish gulp at the water surface if they're hungry :dunno:

No they do not. If they see you approach the tank, and recognizing that they get food from you, they may then come to the surface. But if you sit quietly without moving for several minutes so they "forget" you are there, they should not be doing this (unless still feeding obviously). Fish like zebra danios gulping (except when being fed) is generally a sign that something is wrong. These danios are ravenous fish, so be careful not to overfeed. They should appear hungry, never "full."

No they do not. If they see you approach the tank, and recognizing that they get food from you, they may then come to the surface. But if you sit quietly without moving for several minutes so they "forget" you are there, they should not be doing this (unless still feeding obviously). Fish like zebra danios gulping (except when being fed) is generally a sign that something is wrong. These danios are ravenous fish, so be careful not to overfeed. They should appear hungry, never "full."

Thank you!:thanks: This is the confirmation I need. The danio reiro almost always swim to the surface or close to the front of the tank if a person just walks by but then ignore you once they realize they're not getting food. They always seem hungry even with 3 scheduled feedings a day. Water quality and oxygen levels are not an issue with these fish. Is there an article online that I can print out to show this person that she is wrong about fish gulping because they are hungry?

Thank you!:thanks: This is the confirmation I need. The danio reiro almost always swim to the surface or close to the front of the tank if a person just walks by but then ignore you once they realize they're not getting food. They always seem hungry even with 3 scheduled feedings a day. Water quality and oxygen levels are not an issue with these fish. Is there an article online that I can print out to show this person that she is wrong about fish gulping because they are hungry?

There may be something somewhere, I don't know. Show her this thread, we are experienced aquarists.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back