new from north georgia

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

o h culp

Reaction score
I'm a horse and cat person, but babysat a Betta for a friend a few months ago & got hooked. I realize that it's a fresh water fish so may not be considered "tropical", but wanted to join as many forums as possible to get educated on the hobby. So far I'm doing terribly except for success w/one lovely large Mystery snail Finn I've lost all my beginning 10 gallon, planted aquarium inhabitants. I'm mainly interested in finding a healthy Betta and having it for yrs. NOT only 4-5 months which is how long my first and only Betta so far lived. He was a wonderful little guy & my husband & I became very attached to him very quickly. I did everything I could to help him stay alive & failed miserably. Not sure I should try again would welcome any comments..

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

There are freshwater fish that live in cold and warm water.
There are brackish (partly salty) water fish that live in cold and warm water.
There are saltwater fish that live in cold and warm water.

Bettas are freshwater but they are also tropical (requiring warm water).
Goldfish are freshwater but cold water fish.

------------------------
90% of fish health issues are caused by poor water quality. Good filtration and regular water changes will keep most fish healthy for a long time.

The following link has information about what to do if your fish get sick. It's long and boring but worth a read. I recommend printing it out and reading it in bed to help fall asleep.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/

------------------------
If you have nay issues with your fish, start a thread ASAP and post a picture of the fish and tell us about the water quality (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and GH), and the symptoms the fish have. Add whenever you do water changes, filter cleaning, etc, along with anything else you think is relevant to the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Back