New Forum!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

William

TFF Founder
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
With the influx of new members and the obvious huge increase in numbers of posts us moderators have decided that to prevent tropical chit chat and emergencies filling so quickly we would set up a new forum for beginners questions problems and queries :) . Here is the place where absolutely No question is stupid except for the one which isn't asked!! So get posting!! :)

Cheers Willaim what a fab idea

Ok

Question 1

Please read my post on my un-identified creature in my tank.

Cheers

Hi bigfish I don't see your post please give me a link :) Thanks

How much gravel does a 10 gallon tank need in pounds. I've heard that it needs 20 pounds :hyper: :hyper: . And then I've heard it needs 3 pounds. Please reply I'm very confused. :huh: -_-

Gravel has no real functional use in a tropical aquarium and just use however much you think looks good! A rough guide of 1 - 2inches of gravel is a good idea but remember the more gravel the less water!

Don't know in pounds m8 :/

but as william says about 2" cover though I'd also graduate it/slope it up to 3-4" towards the the back of the tank.

What type of fish/set-up (planted?) do you intend as this will have a bearing on the best substrate to use.

:)

I plan on having 3 live plants from walmart , 2 black angels, and 2 synodontis catfish. another question I have is are snails from walmart coldwater,salt water, or tropical? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

I have always heard that you need approx.1 to 1.5 pounds of rock per gallon of water but to be totally honest I agree with William and Wet that it is a personal choice. As long as you have enough in the bottom to assist in the biological upkeep of the tank you should be fine

Les

I use 1-1.5", but you will need more if keeping plants!!

Plants need a deeper base for good root attachment. prolly 2-2.5" would be good. Sloping from back to front is also a good idea as it helps to keep all the crud towards the front making it easier to siphon out at water change time!!

CM

I pretty sure ther are snails for all types of water....

Apple snails are regularly seen in the lfs over here for tropical tanks - williams your man for more info on them ;)

should I get 2 synodotis catfish or two snails. tell me which one please. I also plan on having 2 black angelfish and a African frog. I'm getting a 10 gallon tank. Which one is best for the angels the snails or the synodotis catfish? :D

fishdude, what are the actual dimensions of your tank?

Get the biggest tank you can site/afford - believe it or not the bigger the tank the easier it is to look after and the more stable the water. Everyone allways wants a bigger tank ! ;)

10g will only just hold the angles when they get bigger - so the cats are out. To be honest I don't know the load (if any) that snails would add :unsure:

and yes bettas are the same as sff :nod:

Most reactions

trending

Back