New Fixed Canister Poll! Whats The Best Canister Filter?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

WHich one is the best for the money!!!!

• Eheim Pro Series

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eheim ECCO Series

• Fluval

• Magnum

• Rena

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • TetraTec

• Marineland

• Proquatics

• ViaAqua

• PennPlax

• Jebo

• Other (List with description/opinion)

• Total voters

ArauraDiscus

Fish Addict
Reaction score
ONLY New models included! And listed from first to last in terms of popularity and ease of finding in a lfs. 1rst being the easiest.

Eheim Pro Series
Pricier than most brands, but outperforms all others over time. This high-tech filter includes cleaver features and comes equipped with high-quality accessories. Start the filter process with the push of a button. The hose adapter has shut-off taps with safety locks and controllable flow rate. Display window shows water flow and allows you to see when filter-media needs cleaning. BEST YOU CAN GET!
Eheim Ecco Series
A less popular brand of Eheim canisters. Has multi-functional handle. A secure connection between pump and housing is guaranteed when the handle is closed and in carrying position. And has integrated priming support for starting water circulation, allowing easy filter start-up. - Quick removal of pump head with its fixed sealing ring. The handle opens the filter for easy cleaning. GENERALLY SPEAKING NOT AS GOOD AS PRO SERIES!
Fluval
Learning a lesson from their older models that were too tall and unwieldy to service, the redesigned models are compact, and sport larger latches similar to the Eheim products. Priming is still a headache, and they tend to be noisy if not properly filled. In spite of that, you can't go wrong with a Fluval. HAS COMMON LEAKING AN MOTOR FUNCTION ISSUES!
Magnum
It is self-priming, quiet, and offers convertible filtration modes, including the option of adding a matching Biowheel system. The clear canister makes it easy to see the condition of the filter. Optional gravel cleaner is a nice perk to an all around great package. VERY SIMPLE AND LESS EFFECTIVE BIOFILTRATION!
Rena
An easy priming canister filter. With very simple yet super effective design. Has interlocking trays to keep one single current rather than a tornado of current in the canister. Water flows around baskets to bottom of canister and is sucked up through the baskets preventing even 1 drop of water going unfiltered. 100 percent silent and easy to use and service. Very good competitive prices. BEST UP AND COMING/ LESS KNOWN BRAND YOU CAN GET!
Tetra Tec
Ready to use, including 5 different filter media:
Ceramic Filter Rings, Carbon removes organic contaminants, Biological Filter Foam, Bio Filter Balls remove large and medium-sized particles, Filter Floss reliably removes very fine particles To clean filters, the water flow is conveniently stopped with the snap valve High quality with 3 year manufacturer's guarantee. GOOD REVIEWS, NORMALLY MORE AVAILABLE IN THE UK, NOT US!
Marineland
Silent power, high-end performance efficiency and unmatched ease of use are what make the C-160 the ultimate in external multi-stage filtration. MARINELAND BRAND FILTERS OFTEN HAVE MOTOR/WARRANTY ISSUES!
Proquatics
such as self-priming, easily removed media basket, large easy to release latches, and top mounted swiveling flow controls.
ViaAqua
Recessed handles, large media baskets, shut-off valves, in addition to low prices, make them highly competative with other canister filters. Canister and through (rather than around) a succession of stacked media trays for full-contact filtration--virtually NO BYPASS
Penn Plax
Heavy-duty external filter delivers powerful mechanical, chemical, and biological filtration for fresh or marine tanks. Extra-large capacity stackable filter medium containers.
Jebo
They are both multistage canisters(they have filter baskets with different media) and come free with filter media-carbon, bio mech rings, and fine to coarse filter pads. ODYSSEA MODEL, VALVES BREAK EASILY. ALL MODELS HAVE THIN BREAKABLE PLASTIC, DO NOT DROP FILTER!

why didnt you just edit the original poll?

hey guys :)

there are more ehiem users on this baord and i expect it to in. obviously there must be a reason why there are loads of ehiem users on here.

for a first time fish keeper i think the tetra tech is cheapo and very realible and the performance is also very good. it's about the same price of the fluvals but definately is a lot better.

i think the fact that because it's fairly new and a "fish food" brand has been attracted to it, means it won't get as many fish keepers interested. from my experience it has been great :)

never pre judge something.
never criticise something you havent had.
never buy a fluval.

eheim pro for me although the pro can still be split again into pro, pro 2 and pro 3 if needed :lol:

I have just spent a substantial amount of time cleaning up after the row that errupted in the last thread of this type. Some of the more volatile members will not be able to post for a while as a result. I don't want a repeat.

On topic, most of my Eheims are Classics that I've had for years, reliable and near silent. The ECCO's are flimsy, don't have the same build quality but are still comparable in quality to a lot of other more budget makes, it was, after all, why they were produced. I was given a wet and dry to trial, I found it noisy, and only had it running for a few weeks.

This forum is becoming the cannister owners fan club.

Why not just give unbiased advice, experience and suggestions instead of being anorak members of the Eheim fanclub.

Eheim are good, I know but I feel they are overpriced when compared to their competitors.

I use a Tetratec EX700 which keeps my water crystal clear (and I have not got the carbon in it due to me being planted)

I used to have a fluval internal and never had a complaint. Just wanted an external and the reviews of the Tetratec along with the price won me over and I am very happy with it.

I won't put Eheims down because I have read good reviews about all but the Ecco, and that the thermo ones often break down.

But can people stop defending their filter brands, and just give out experiences, and advice rather than saying 'mine is the best' all the time.

And please lets stop these polls, they're getting boring.

Andy

I voted other for any filter other than a fluval. (my opinion, if you don't like it tough!)

Lol makes sense. I may be getting cheap Jebo filter really soon, so I'll tell you guys about it's quality then. However all I hear is good about them so far anyway except for easily breakable plastic which I'm told has been fixed in the new models.

Ive always used Eheim Classics, i have got an ecco but i broke the handle which makes priming it difficult but the filter does still work. I've had two Fluvals, a 303 and a 304. Both were utter crap, they leaked, were difficult to get going again after maintainance, the double taps were a complete nightmare to operate and both died within under a year (mainly due to me kicking the damn things across the room :crazy: ).

I have just spent a substantial amount of time cleaning up after the row that errupted in the last thread of this type. Some of the more volatile members will not be able to post for a while as a result. I don't want a repeat.

On topic, most of my Eheims are Classics that I've had for years, reliable and near silent. The ECCO's are flimsy, don't have the same build quality but are still comparable in quality to a lot of other more budget makes, it was, after all, why they were produced. I was given a wet and dry to trial, I found it noisy, and only had it running for a few weeks.
T1KARMANN

I voted Fluval.
I don't see why people rant on and on about them. I have set up and used a models from 10x, 20x, 30x, and 40x. None have had leaks or problems. I guess that is because I read the directions.

Actually if it weren't for this website, I never would have heard a single negative thing about fluval. Is it possible that since a large number of the members are from the UK, maybe it is just a UK factory that makes them and is making them more craptacularly than the american based company? Hmmmm.

I would have voted Eheim classic too if it were an option. I've been very satisfied with it going on 5 years and its still silent and smooth.

Granted its as not as easy to change media in a classic but how often do you plan changing the media in your canister? If its every week or couple of weeks you need a HOB filter anyway not a canister.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back