new fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tomer126

Reaction score
hey, lately i'v posted about my fish, and realized that they are not suited for my tank, size wise. so i am looking around to find them a new place, and in the meantime, i was thinking that i should start planning my new tank population. so i was thinking about a group of tetra neon or another fish like this type, but it would seems a bit "lack of verity" in my opinion, so i want to ask you what type of fish can i put with them in a 60 liters tank:)

Hi there :)

Before we can recommend species for you, we need to know the hardness of your water (you can find that on your supplier's website, if you don't know) and the dimensions of the tank.

Hello,
We need to know your water parameters before we can give you ideas about fish (like fluttermoth said) Also we need to know if your water is hard or soft!
~Karen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how am i suppose to know that? all those kits to check it are expensive to me... i guess i could somehow find out if the water are hard or soft, but i don't really know how to do so (and to be honest, i don't really know what is the meaning of soft water and hard water lol)

how am i suppose to know that? all those kits to check it are expensive to me... i guess i could somehow find out if the water are hard or soft, but i don't really know how to do so (and to be honest, i don't really know what is the meaning of soft water and hard water lol)

Hard water has a lot of minerals dissolved in it. Soft water has very few. You can find out which you have on your supplier's website.

It's very important to keep fish in the right kind of water, or they get a lot of diseases and die young.

I know test kits are expensive, but it's very difficult to keep fish properly without them. You can always buy them one at a time; ammonia first, as it's the most important, then nitrite, then nitrate and pH when you can, as those are least important.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
my water hardness level is either 221, 247 or 295 pph. don't really know what that means, can anyone tell?

Did you get those figures from your water company's website? They sound a bit like minimum, mean and maximum over several tests.
A hardness in the 200s is hard, going towards very hard nearer 300 ppm.

We also need to know the dimension of your tank. It could be a tall narrow 60 litres, or a wide shallow 60 litres.The length is important as some fish need more swimming length than others.

it is not the minimum, its the average... the city website gave me three lists for the minimum, maximum and average for the water hardness, i guess for different parts of the city... so i wrote the three average. and the dimension are
Length: 60 Hight: 35 Depth: 30 (all in centimeter)

My water company used to do that and my GH tester always agreed with the mean figure.

You can say that your tap water hardness is 247 ppm, and that converts to 14 dH. Fish profiles give hardness requirements in one of those two units. You need to look for fish that match your tap water hardness.

but i found in another web that both the fish i have require softer water then that, and they both live for a long long time, and in good condition from the looks of it... (upside down cat fish: 6-7 ph, oscar: 6-8 ph) (and i know that they are not ok in the tank, that is way i am looking for new ones)

but i found in another web that both the fish i have require softer water then that, and they both live for a long long time, and in good condition from the looks of it... (upside down cat fish: 6-7 ph, oscar: 6-8 ph) (and i know that they are not ok in the tank, that is way i am looking for new ones)

The pH is one parameter, but the more important is the GH which is the dissolved mineral. Every species of freshwater fish has evolved to function best within a set range of parameters. Some fish species are more sensitive to this than other species. Some will survive for a period but then suddenly die, some will come down with various diseases because they have been weakened internally by inappropriate parameters. The fact that a fish survives does not mean it is thriving. And reaching its expected lifespan (which varies for each species) is usually a fair indication that it was thriving.

You have a 60 liter (15 gallon) tank according to the dimensions. And hard water.

GH= water hardness
pH= water acidity
pH runs from 1-14. 7 is neutral, lower than 7 is acidic with a 1 being an incredibly strong acid, higher than 7 is alkaline with 14 being an incredibly strong alkaline.

Most municipal water systems have a pH somewhere between 6 - 8. Mine is 7.4 after setting for a couple days. According to the water company, it is 7.9 when it leaves their plant.

I would not bother looking at any website other than Seriously fish for the kind of water a fish likes. According to that, your hardness is fine for upside down catfish and oscars. It's just your tank that is wrong for them.

Most reactions

trending

Back