New Fish :)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

shaunna_90

Reaction score
Brought some fish for my 35litre tank today.
Got;
3 female guppys
1 female chinese fighter fish
1 apple snail

These have settled really well, not getting any more until these have settled and to see if theyre ok. Tank looks really empty though, what other fish could i get and how many fit in 35litre tank? Thanks in advance

It all depends on how many water changes you do and the filter you are running. Blind cave tetras are a neat fish and get about the same size of a female guppy. Balloon mollies stay small, maybe some sort of Danio, or an American Flagfish . I wouldn’t put more then 10 fish that’s if my math is right and your tank is around 10 US gallons. Hope this helps and good luck with your set up .
Wes & Sam

tetras would go well in a 35L tank. personally i think they go well in any community tank. or buy a male guppy (which have much more colour than females) and a spare tank for all the fry you'd get in a month. i bought 5 female dutch guppies and had fry in 4 days. i've never bought a set of female guppies that at least one wasn't already pregnant. think its impossible. the fry will mate at 3-4 months. good job i got the room for them all.

What is your pH? Dimensions of the tank? Décor (photo would help here)? All of these affect recommendations.

Is your "chinese fighter fish", is that a Betta splendens? Betta and fighter fish are more common common names for those :)

You should be really careful with the apple snail, if one dies in a tank that size, it can release enough ammonia to kill all the fish in a matter of hours, so check that it is alive at least a couple of times per day.

The female guppies will keep giving birth to fry for the next 3-9 months at 4-5 week intervals and they can give birth to up to 200 fry (although 30-60 is a lot more common).

[…] 10 US gallons.[…]
It's actually 9 US gallons before decor.

Edit: schooling fish are NOT a good option because there is already 5 "large fish" worth of bio-load in there and schooling fish should be kept in groups of 6+ (and there is no excuse for keeping them in anything under 10 if stocking a new tank).

Edit, part 2: Shaunna did you cycle the aquarium? By adding ammonia?

I was told today its 10gallons.
Thanks for that information on the apple snails, i will check on a regular basis.
I dont 5 large fish? I have 3 very small guppys that im told dont get any bigger, a fighter fish and a snail. The tank looks empty
I was told today that 35litres will fit 15-20 fish in along the line of Danios, Tetras, Guppys.
Another question, how can you tell if a guppys pregnant?

Thanks for that information on the apple snails, i will check on a regular basis.
I dont 5 large fish? I have 3 very small guppys that im told dont get any bigger, a fighter fish and a snail. The tank looks empty
I was told today that 35litres will fit 15-20 fish in along the line of Danios, Tetras, Guppys.

Who exactly is telling you this rubbish information? A fish shop keeper that wants to sell you fish on a regular basis when they keep dying?! :rolleyes:

Danio's are extremely boisterous, active and very energetic and would require a tank of at least 2ft to be fair to the fish. What KK was stating is that you have 5 fish with large bio-loads which will put strain on your filter and its ability to cope with the ammonia that they produce. A female guppy is about the maximum size that your tank will support.

35 Litre tanks lend themselves better to smaller species of fish such as micro rasbora's and pygmy corydoras.

Who exactly is telling you this rubbish information? A fish shop keeper that wants to sell you fish on a regular basis when they keep dying?! :rolleyes:

Danio's are extremely boisterous, active and very energetic and would require a tank of at least 2ft to be fair to the fish. What KK was stating is that you have 5 fish with large bio-loads which will put strain on your filter and its ability to cope with the ammonia that they produce. A female guppy is about the maximum size that your tank will support.

35 Litre tanks lend themselves better to smaller species of fish such as micro rasbora's and pygmy corydoras.

No an aquarium shop with 44 years experience, i used to go as a child with my parents. Parents have never had a problem with them and neither has anyone else to be honest so i trust them fully.
I will have a look out for those fish, are they small ones? Only really want to stick with small fish as i love the size and colours of the guppys. Are the fish you said community fish?

a little know fact about Zebra Danios...
Minimum Tank Size: 10 gallons
Care Level: Easy
Temperament: Peaceful
Water Conditions: 64-75° F, KH 8-12, pH 6.5-7.0
Max. Size: 3"
Color Form: Blue, Purple, White, Yellow
Diet: Omnivore
I’ve had my Danios (3) in a 10 gallon planted tank for over 2 years now; moreover, they are happy healthy and lay eggs about every 6 to 8 weeks. Sorry it’s not close to 10 US gallons it is 9.2460218 USG. The eggs almost never make it because the Corys do a good job eating them before the have a chance… and thankfully they can lay up to 500 eggs at a time, what the corys don't eat the guppies get. A good filter well have no problem kipping up with 7 to 10 fish in a tank that size.

Well i'm sorry, but 20 of the fish you mentioned would be a very bad mistake in a 35 litre tank. No two ways about it.

As for micro rasbora's, they're some of the smallest fish available in the world... But probably wouldn't fare well with the fish you already have. Just because your parents never had a problem doesn't mean it is correct.

with the greatest respect if you trust this shop 100% you really dont need us. We are a group of people who care about out fish and we give out free advise in the interest of the fish. The info you posted is defo duff as to stocking.

Well theyre all fine together, no attacking and theyve all eaten.
And yes, rather than be victimised about my tank and fish, i will stick to someone with 44 years experience

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back