New fish Update! Quarantine questions

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

cowgirluntamed

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So...for those following...I bought a bunch of fish from live aquaria, had some doa's, then they just seemed to keep dying. So this is an update since my last thread I started.

So far since changing to prefiltering the water, no more deaths!

I still think it was a combination of something they had, but definite ph shock from my well water being really low (for me) at 7.4 and then raising to the normal 8.2 in 24 hours. I'm also wondering....I used to have these glowlight tetras before that were fine with water changes, when I was still using buckets, but then I started using a hose straight from the tap. Not sure if the buckets would have aerated it out that much though.

Anyway, it's been exactly 2 weeks since the last fish death. But I got these fish at the end of june. So, how much longer should they stay in quarantine? The tetras are FINALLY acting like tetras! Even going from being skittish the entire time (when lots were dying) to the last week of not being skittish and eating really really well. There are 12 of them left. And...my last little harlequin is still alive as well. All ten cories in with him are fine too. Should I go ahead and wait a couple more weeks or do they need to be there that long? I've read that the "quarantine" restarts with each death or illness that appears but I wanted to check.

If they have been fine for the last 2 weeks, then give them 2 more weeks and if no more deaths, then add them to the display tank.

------------------
Garden hoses have a softening agent in them to stop them kinking. The softening agent is extremely toxic to any animal, bird or fish. More softening agent is released in hot weather, so a garden hose in the sun will release more of it compared to the same house in a shaded area. If you are using a garden hose, then you should run water through it for several minutes before collecting water.

If they have been fine for the last 2 weeks, then give them 2 more weeks and if no more deaths, then add them to the display tank.

------------------
Garden hoses have a softening agent in them to stop them kinking. The softening agent is extremely toxic to any animal, bird or fish. More softening agent is released in hot weather, so a garden hose in the sun will release more of it compared to the same house in a shaded area. If you are using a garden hose, then you should run water through it for several minutes before collecting water.

Thanks Colin! That's what I was thinking as well.

As for the hose, it's food safe clear vinyl tubing that I got off of amazon. One of them has a piece of clear tubing from lowes as I needed a bit extra length. It's also vinyl but unsure about food safe. I just know it's a bit stiffer to handle than the other one. But I don't remember right now I it's on my drain hose or my fill hose...I have them seperate. Lol.

Clear plastic hoses are normally fine. It's the genuine garden hoses that have the softener in them. And the more expensive kink free garden hoses have more softening agent compared to the cheaper hoses that become hard and kink up.

You can also use black poly pipe (irrigation tube) and it is normally safe. However, some brands from China have lead in them and can release low levels of lead if the water is allowed to sit in them. So they should be flushed out with running water for a couple of minutes before collecting water through them :)

Clear plastic hoses are normally fine. It's the genuine garden hoses that have the softener in them. And the more expensive kink free garden hoses have more softening agent compared to the cheaper hoses that become hard and kink up.

You can also use black poly pipe (irrigation tube) and it is normally safe. However, some brands from China have lead in them and can release low levels of lead if the water is allowed to sit in them. So they should be flushed out with running water for a couple of minutes before collecting water through them :)

Thanks again for the tips. I think it's almost time to run something through these hoses. My drain hose has some well, mold or something, starting in it. But since it's the drain hose I'm not as worried. Lol. I'm keeping my eye on the fill hose though but so far it's staying clean.

Boiling water or straight liquid bleach. Leave to soak for a bit then rinse well with running water.

When you have finished using hoses, hang them up so the water can drain out the ends. it helps stop them going mouldy inside.

Boiling water or straight liquid bleach. Leave to soak for a bit then rinse well with running water.

When you have finished using hoses, hang them up so the water can drain out the ends. it helps stop them going mouldy inside.

I've got some bleach. I can try that. As for hanging them....kind of can't. They are just over 50ft long to reach from my bathroom. Lol.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back