New Fish Lover

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

DianaWelch

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm Diana and I'm a Newbie here. I am glad to be part of this forum. Hope I'll be able to get some good insights in taking good care of fishes. I am planning to buy Arowana for my birthday. Can you suggest what kind of food should I feed it? How about the aquarium? Should I get a bigger size already? I heard they can grow really long.

What size tank do you have right now? What species of arowana are you looking into? I suggest you look into this before you buy any fish.
Welcome to TFF c:

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Arowana are a popular fish but they grow pretty big, typically reaching 50 - 60cm, 2 feet or thereabouts.

So that alone means you'd need a BIG tank, might get away with MAYBE at least a 6 foot tank but personally reckon at least a 8 foot long tank would be better, of course with a tank cover as these arowanas are known for jumping out of tanks.

But honestly, unless you have the space for a tank of this size along with a hefty filtration system and of course the time to do these massive waterchanges and maintenance. Believe me, its a lot of work to change 50% water from a 8 foot tank weekly. Reckon a 8 foot tank to suit arowana would be over 240 gallons.

Arowana - Scleropages formosus

Thanks for the reply everyone.
I am considering to buy a Jardini. Thanks Ch4rlie for giving me that info and reminder.
I only have a 3 ft tank as of now LyraGuppi.
Gosh, I think It'll take me the whole day to clean and replace that water. Can anyone suggest a smaller species of Arowana?

Arowana are very large fish, unfortunately even the smallest varieties (Australian Arowana, the Jardini) get to monstrous sizes. You'll need at least a six foot long tank for a Jardini, at the absolutely bare minimum, though bigger is better.
I have a 90 gallon, and I agree, water changes take ages on a large tank. And it's not even that large, comparatively!
Do you have any other fish that you admire? Are you looking for a predatory fish?

Arowana are very large fish, unfortunately even the smallest varieties (Australian Arowana, the Jardini) get to monstrous sizes. You'll need at least a six foot long tank for a Jardini, at the absolutely bare minimum, though bigger is better.
I have a 90 gallon, and I agree, water changes take ages on a large tank. And it's not even that large, comparatively!
Do you have any other fish that you admire? Are you looking for a predatory fish?

Oh my, I think I have to think twice about buying Arowana. My second option is Flowerhorn Cichlid. I am fascinated with its protruding head. What do you think?

I don't know too much about Flowerhorns, sorry. :c Hopefully a more experienced member will answer soon.

Flowerhorns would also need a bigger tank than a three foot and, being cichlids, can be quite aggressive, so other tankmates would have be chosen very carefully. A flowerhorn would certainly eat any fish it could fit into its mouth.

I don't know too much about Flowerhorns, sorry. :c Hopefully a more experienced member will answer soon.

No worries, LyraGuppi :)
Thanks for the tips and reminders about Arowana LOL
By the way, what kind of fish do you own? :)

Flowerhorns would also need a bigger tank than a three foot and, being cichlids, can be quite aggressive, so other tankmates would have be chosen very carefully. A flowerhorn would certainly eat any fish it could fit into its mouth.

Oh, I see. I didn't know that it's also a predatory fish, fluttermoth. What kind of fish should I mix with a flowerhorn then?

Not all of them in the same tank. There are two separate tanks at the moment.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back