New Figure 8 Puffer Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

KatDis84

Reaction score
I have an up and running 80l tank which I am planning on putting 2 bumblebee gobies and a figure 8 in.

The tank is fully cycled (and inhabited at present) and freshwater at the moment. I am taking my time over this process as I want to get it right, I have read a lot on here as well as online in general and just had a couple of questions. Should I have the gobies in before the figure 8? And if so I know 20gal is best for the figure 8, are the gobies ok in this volume?

I plan to upgrade his tank as he gets bigger anyway as would rather him in a 110-120 litre.

Yes add the gobies first. Make sure they have plenty of hiding places as the puffer will chase and nip at them. With enough caves you could keep over ten bb gobies in a 20 gal. Just my experience.

Thank you for that, if I can have 10 gobies in 20 gallons does that mean I can have 10 and the puffer? That just seems quite a few lol my complaining and if I can have more than 2 may stick for a nice group of 6 :)

6 and the puffer should be fine. I say should, because sometimes you just don't know. Biologically speaking it won't be over stocked. I do worry about the puffer as it gets larger, eating the gobies.

I have a lovely lfs who have agreed that any problems with the puffer (who will be young) then they will take it back, and i'll either return the puffer or set up two tanks. I want this to work out for both species so will take it very carefully and ANY signs of aggression and they will be separated. Have you tried keeping both? One site I read commented on the fact the black and yellow is such a universal danger sign that the puffers tend to not bother them

I love figure eight puffers, awesome fish for medium to small brackish tanks, post pics of your set up would love to see it!

It's good that you have a good local fish store. I only kept both while working at a lfs, and with over 5,000 gallons to look after, didn't get to spend much time just admiring the fish, unfortunately. My concern is puffers are grazers and take little nips out of everything and bb's can be pretty "lazy" at times, so I would be more worried of the accidental bite than all out aggression.
And please do post pictures, would love to see your aquarium.

Will definitely do guys, thank you for the advice, photos will be up within the next few weeks :)

Out of interest Reverendturtle considering you've looked after so Manu species of fish what do you keep?

I tend to stick with smaller fish, although I do have a Malawi cichlid tank. I try to find rarer species. Not much luck locally tho....

Most reactions

Back