New Crab Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

This Old Spouse

TOTM Winner May 2013
Reaction score
With my guppy nursery going on, I decided to set up my 5g tank for my fiddler crab so she doesn't have to compete for space. I put in a small underground filter and have about 2g of water in the tank, along with rocks that she can climb up to get out of the water, and a pennywort for a little color. The substrate is half pebbles and half sand (same as the other tank that she seems to like). I took some old filter media and put it under the filter.

My stats are pH 7.6, ammonia .25, NO2 0, NO3 5.0.

Is this okay to put her in yet?

With my guppy nursery going on, I decided to set up my 5g tank for my fiddler crab so she doesn't have to compete for space. I put in a small underground filter and have about 2g of water in the tank, along with rocks that she can climb up to get out of the water, and a pennywort for a little color. The substrate is half pebbles and half sand (same as the other tank that she seems to like). I took some old filter media and put it under the filter.

My stats are pH 7.6, ammonia .25, NO2 0, NO3 5.0.

Is this okay to put her in yet?

only this i would say is, you will need a heat lamp.

Forgot to mention ... there is a heater in there. Otherwise OK?

It's a water heater. The tank is about half full of water so the filter will work. It's the same situation she's had for about 4 months or so and she seems to like it.

It's a water heater. The tank is about half full of water so the filter will work. It's the same situation she's had for about 4 months or so and she seems to like it.

ok, i understand, but they need air temperature that's the same or higher than the water temp.

ok, i understand, but they need air temperature that's the same or higher than the water temp.

It's a covered tank with a light, so the temp is warm.

She's in there now and seems to be pretty happy. She's been eating which I take as a good sign.

Do you have any suggestions for tank mates for her?

It's a covered tank with a light, so the temp is warm.

She's in there now and seems to be pretty happy. She's been eating which I take as a good sign.

Do you have any suggestions for tank mates for her?

not really. i'm sure i will be corrected if wrong, but i think 5 gallon tank is about big enough for one crab. you have too little water for fish. even if you did, its not recommended.

i assume the water is brackish?

perhaps, also, fill the gaps in the rocks with playsand. and try to form a shaw line of sand, too.

Here's a few photos of Dora the Explorer in her new home. She seems quite happy. Thanks to my sweet husband for taking the professional photos!

798d3dc4.jpg

d97d8732.jpg

a1bb702c.jpg

So I had Dora in her new little tank and she started to become listless and lost her appetite. I thought it might be because she was bored and lonely, so I put her back in the 10g tank with the guppies. She seemed fine for several days, but for the past day or so she's just been sitting on the top of her rock not moving unless I put my hand by her (checking to see she's still alive) at which time she moves slightly. She's quit eating and moving around.

I know they do better in multiples, but I can't get to a LFS until this weekend, at which time I plan to get her a mate. Any suggestions in the meantime? I don't want to lose her.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Could I please get some help? Ask me any questions? Anything? I'm really getting worried about her.
sad1.gif

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back