New Catfish! What Do You Think?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FlyingSquid

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a fish labeled "Shovelnose" from a rundown local fish store. I saw this poor guy in a 10 gallon tank and dropped $20 on him. He looks to me like he's a Sorubim lima or a Lima Shovelnose Cat. I'm new to Cats so any advice would help or a confirmation on the ID of this fish. He's really cool
smile.png

Here's a picture:
http://s1173.photobucket.com/user/FlyingSquid16/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140208_153319_zpscrufy2tf.jpg.html

Be aware that this catfish can grow 4 to 5 feet and has tremendous appetites. How long is it now? A 6-inch specimen will require more than 50 US gallons and can swallow fish half its size.

If indeed it is a Sorubim Lima (and it does look like one) it may grow to a little over 20"

Tongue_Flicker said:
Be aware that this catfish can grow 4 to 5 feet and has tremendous appetites. How long is it now? A 6-inch specimen will require more than 50 US gallons and can swallow fish half its size.
The fish is a little under 7 inches and is housed with a large Jack Drmpsey Cichlid and Parrot in my 55
When he gets a little larger I'll put him in the cycling 80. And I doubt he'll get that large, biggest I've seen is 24"
KirkyArcher said:
If indeed it is a Sorubim Lima (and it does look like one) it may grow to a little over 20"
It looks like a Lima to me, but I like to make sure. Thanks.

looking-glass said:
hes cool :) hope you enjoy him :)
Thank you :) I will. He's quite the character.
But on a more serious note, What should I feed this guy?

I would imagine he's a big eater, Id keep the diet as varied as possible supplement the catfish pellets with lots of high quality frozen/live food like bloodworm etc :)

looking-glass said:
I would imagine he's a big eater, Id keep the diet as varied as possible supplement the catfish pellets with lots of high quality frozen/live food like bloodworm etc :)
I threw in a dozen earthworms and he wouldn't touch em. Dempsey and the Parrot ended up eating em all. He hasn't touched the pellets. You think he's just nervous, or should I try something else?

He maybe stressed from the JD. Is the dempsey a very active one?

Tongue_Flicker said:
He maybe stressed from the JD. Is the dempsey a very active one?
The Jack Dempsey is active but very peacful for what he is. He is completely oblivious to the other fish and they both swim freely together often right next to each other. The Catfish however just floats and watchs the other fish eat during feeding time. Is it the food? Itried pellets and earthworms.

Do you have a good hiding place for him? 

Ryan10 said:
Do you have a good hiding place for him? 
Yes. He has many spots, caves, crevices and planted plants as well as floating plants.

He won't eat. Didn't touch the worms, pellets, flakes, or minnows from the pond. I'm worried because he won't eat.

I was just wondering because sometimes they don't feel very secure without a place to hide so they get stressed.  It probably is just stressed being in a new tank. 

Sorry to comment on an old post but my Lima Shovelnose cats in my 55 gal haven't exceeded 13 inches and I've had the one for over seven years. The older one also refuses to eat anything other than feeder fish or eat during the day

Just for the record, it is S. lima. They're actually a shoaling fish, which is why they're usually a bit shy and inactive. Best in groups.

Most reactions

trending

Back