New Betta question

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Rjt215

Reaction score
Hi all, I accidentally walked through the walmart fish section two days ago. My kids found a big male vt in less than an inch of water. His fins were torn and laying in strands in the bottom of the cup and his back was above the water line. I grabbed some of the "Betta water" next to him and dumped it in, pitched a minor fit, and came home with a free new family member.
I had a planted five gallon that I was starting to cycle and that's his new home. Water is at 80 degrees with a whisper filter, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5 nitrates. There are a few small plants and an oriental sword in it. Water was treated with prime and stresscoat.
The little guy immediately perked up and is swimming very well even with the fin loss. He would eat like a pig if I let him.
I woke up this morning to a massive bubble nest that he is still working on.
There is no sign yet of infection or rot on his fins. He does however have slightly cloudy eyes. I did not notice them the first day- but have been watching him a little obsessively today.
The questions....
Should I treat for the cloudy eyes or wait until the clean water has time to work? I don't want him to become debilitated.
Is there a way to treat that which would help prevent fin rot?
Is there a gentle way to prevent both issues before they become issues?
I have just finished treating a female Betta (pet store) for parasites and the turnaround was amazing but the process super stressful and she was pretty debilitated. I want to try to prevent another super sick fish! Thank you in advance!

Day one pic and today pic. Hard to see the cloudiness as it's slight

Attachments

• IMG_7478.JPG
    IMG_7478.JPG
    421 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_7497.JPG
    IMG_7497.JPG
    668.3 KB · Views: 212
The best thing you can do for him is lots of clean treated water and good food.
He looks fine to me considering what hes been thru,

I accidentally walked through the walmart fish section two days ago.
LOL right lets stick with that, thats what I tell my wife when I buy new fish, " I accidentally walked into the fish shop "

The best thing you can do for him is lots of clean treated water and good food.
He looks fine to me considering what hes been thru,

LOL right lets stick with that, thats what I tell my wife when I buy new fish, " I accidentally walked into the fish shop "

Yep- my husband just shook his head. And I blamed it on the kids. I will keep up with the water and watch him closely for now.

LOL I figured as much.

Members please note.
Is there a way to treat that which would help prevent fin rot?
The simplest way to prevent finrot is to keep the water clean, with 50% weekly water changes, Live plants and a filter. Sponge is great but so are hang on back filters, you can buy ones that are adjustable so the current isnt strong.

If your fish has finrot in most cases all you need is lots of clean water and maybe some aquarium salt.

Indian Almond leaf or Indian Almond leaf extract are great in Betta tanks. Yes it turns the water yellow but its great for the Betta.

I use it in my tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back