What's new

New Betta owner, looking for advice/opinions

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

RyRy

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My name is Ryan and I recently got myself a Betta (yay!) After contemplating it for a long time and doing god knows how much research into the care, likes, dislikes of betta fish me and my partner finally decided to take the plunge.

We have a 64 litre love fish tank which we got from pets at home (were uk based), we got the tank about 2 months ago, we set it up with gravel and some basic ornaments etc, filled it woth water and let it run it's cycle, we had a huge bacteria bloom which died off after a few days at which point we changed the water.

After getting a few more ornaments and plants we decided we would get ourselves a clown pleco for the tank to start the ball rolling.

After having the pleco for about a week and a half we visited the pet shop and seemed advice on how long to wait etc.

We took a water sample and had them test it, everything was perfect expect the hardest which was a little high which they said was fine. They then told us we could get a betta.

We were super excited and choose the prettiest, most active one there, his name is now Jaque (French pronunciation of back apparently)

When we got Jaque we also got 6 harlquins, at the advice of the store assistant.

We have now had Jaque for about a week or so and have noticed a few things we would like to seek advice on.

1. Jaque seems to spend a lot of the time at the back of the tank chasing his reflection (we are aware of why) is there anything we can do to stop this? We don't want to stress him out or anything but letting him feel he is surrounded by other bettas,

2. (See pictures below) are we missing anything that would make him more comfortable or well improve his happiness.

And if anyone has any more advice or opinions please feel free to comment

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1495978525743.jpg
    FB_IMG_1495978525743.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 147
  • Screenshot_20170528-144427.png
    Screenshot_20170528-144427.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 172
You could put a non reflective background on the tank and add more cover to stop the glass surfing. He may just be stressed due to the new aquarium, though.
His tank looks great! It's great that you did so much research. :) Good luck!

Thank you LuraGuppi, we have a background but it didn't seem to make a difference, were currently trying to train the plant to go along the back of the tank in hope it will prevent him doing his tracing :)

We have now had Jaque for about a week

He is only new to the tank give him some time to settle in, I also think the tank is too bright.
To help him settle in get some floating plants, this will make him feel secure and reduce the light in the tank. Your Rasboras will appreciate floating plants also.

You could also add some Indian Almond leaf to the tank, Both the betta and rasboras will love it, BUT be warned it turns the water yellow

PS
Nice boy.

Thanks NickAu we've been thinking about floating plants for a whole but can't see to find any in the stores but will have a look only or something and see what I can do. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back