New Betta Owner Advise

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ZippyatYork

Reaction score
Hi all,
Right this is my first post.After spending years keeping a 4ft marine tank I have decided since the addiction of my first child it was time to calm it down. I loved my marine tank so much but I was spending more time in the sump than been a dad. The tank has been sold and my stock so I have been looking at a smaller project to keep my fingers wet. Like most I keep fresh water fish years ago before the move to the salty side but never kept a Betta as my community tank was to busy and fast flowing really.
I've always want a simple planted aquarium but not huge and I understand theses are great for Betta fish.
So my first question I'm looking at a 30 litre or 40 litre aquamedic nano tank has anyone had any experience with these? From what I've red 30 litres is minimum for a singe fish.
Thanks in advance guys

You can have anything from 15 litres up I believe? (For a betta) although that is absolute minimum.

I have the aquanano 30 which is 22 litres, and an arcadia 35 litre awaiting scaping.

Yes I think it's nicer for the betta to get the biggest tank you can fit/afford and 30 litres is ideal.

Plants I like as are easy maintenance are Anubias - nice big leaves for bettas to rest on, vallis and crypts.

If you have a check out of the setups in the betta section you will get plenty of inspiration I'm sure.

This is what I did with my 22 litres:

image-2_zps4366d6ed.jpg

Please do a journal when you decide how you are going to go about it :) we all love a nosey at other folks tanks :D

Good luck, and enjoy the journey :)

Thanks for the reply. I will keep doing my research. Has the stock pump got to mush flow rate for a betta?

No mine is ok, he does like to sleep up against it, I thought he was dead at one point but he promptly swam away when I went near :D you can alter the flow on mine, and I've planted vallis by the intake.

I bought some new tall plants for mine (I'm new to bettas too) and my betta really likes it and the flow is now just right.

Shelster said:
No mine is ok, he does like to sleep up against it, I thought he was dead at one point but he promptly swam away when I went near
biggrin.png
you can alter the flow on mine, and I've planted vallis by the intake.

PrairieSunflower said:
I bought some new tall plants for mine (I'm new to bettas too) and my betta really likes it and the flow is now just right.

thanks guys looks like its a 30litre aqua one then may get the 40 though.....  anyone bother with co2?

I don't... that is still something beyond my understanding.  I aim for plants for both my tanks that are easy.

PrairieSunflower said:
I don't... that is still something beyond my understanding.  I aim for plants for both my tanks that are easy.

it seems in is just like dosing a tank you would test the water and adjust where needed

Well the marine take left yesterday. Slim one the hunt for a betta and tank :)

welcomeani.gif
 to TFF, Zippy!
Am sure you are already aware, but please fishless cycle the tank before adding your betta. They are reputed not to need any kind of fish welfare, but in reality they do need filtration, warmth and space to swim like any other tropical fish. There's a trite but true saying on here - Surviving is not thriving.
Good luck with setting up your tank and as Shel said, we'd love to see some pictures as you go along.

Mamashack said:
:hi: to TFF, Zippy!
Am sure you are already aware, but please fishless cycle the tank before adding your betta. They are reputed not to need any kind of fish welfare, but in reality they do need filtration, warmth and space to swim like any other tropical fish. There's a trite but true saying on here - Surviving is not thriving.
Good luck with setting up your tank and as Shel said, we'd love to see some pictures as you go along.
Hi Mamashack nice to here from a Yorkshire lass :) don't worry I'm a evil person let i said kept salt water fish and know the importance of water quility and habitat. I keep reading threads on forum which are just awful! Keeping them in bowls tiny cubes and bloodly vodka bottles! Just doing research on planted aquaruims then Il get setup and leave it to cycle while a go on holiday. Once I'm happy I will search for a betta
Maybe a little wait for some pics just bought a new car so funds have dropped for now

Just leaving the tank whilst you are on holiday won't cycle the tank I'm afraid - you need to be adding ammonia and checking the levels at regular intervals and top it up until the ammonia and nitrIte levels are down to 0ppm within 24hrs of adding the ammonia. Just leaving them standing will mean they are exactly the same as you left them.
If you need to read up on it follow the link at the end of my signature and look at fishless cycling.

Mamashack said:
Just leaving the tank whilst you are on holiday won't cycle the tank I'm afraid - you need to be adding ammonia and checking the levels at regular intervals and top it up until the ammonia and nitrIte levels are down to 0ppm within 24hrs of adding the ammonia. Just leaving them standing will mean they are exactly the same as you left them.
If you need to read up on it follow the link at the end of my signature and look at fishless cycling.
I'm fully aware aware of that thanks. Like I said my tank will be a planted tank no stock will be in the tank till I'm happy with the levels and my co2 levels are up to scratch. Once the filters are mature I will think about fish. I'm toying with the idea of running a doser adding nite out 11 special blend to the setup but may wait and start once I've had a break.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back