New Betta Mom and I have some questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Khaleesi

Reaction score
Hello! So off my first Betta about a month ago. Yesterday I adopted a new one that was sitting in a dirty tub at the pet store and looked miserable. I felt for the poor little dude and heā€™s already seeming a lot happier now that heā€™s got a bigger tank. But, he kind of leans to his left side a lot. Heā€™s also got a little bulge on his body in front of his tail. You can see it on both sides. Iā€™m not sure what that is so I was hoping someone here could help. I also think he has fin rot because his fins are a little frayed. Heā€™s on day 2 of treatment for that. Thank you in advance for the help and advice!

Yesterday I adopted a new one that was sitting in a dirty tub at the pet store and looked miserable.
lol

----------------------
hi and welcome to the forum :)

If you can post a picture of the fish we will be more able to identify the problem.

Some Bettas have split tails and it can resemble finrot but isn't. Again the picture will help us determine if it is.

Iā€™ve been trying to upload one but it says my file is too big for the server to process. If I have a little extra time before heading to work I will resize it and get it uploaded! :)

I save pics to a free image hosting website and post a link on here.

he has fin rot because his fins are a little frayed. Heā€™s on day 2 of treatment for that.
What are you treating him with? To treat finrot all you need is lots of clean water.

Heā€™s also got a little bulge on his body in front of his tail. You can see it on both sides.

You mean like this?
RtAKWrl.jpg

Yes, a bulge just like that! I just got him Sunday so he's on his second day in his tank. How often should I change the water to help with the fin rot? I've been using API's Bettafix. But I'll stop doing that if I just need water and it's better for them! I think my blue betta might have it too but he is so hard to get a picture of! He's super active and Red not unactive but definitely more mellow. I got the picture resized so I'm attaching it!

Attachments

• IMG-7683.JPG
    IMG-7683.JPG
    316.9 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
The fish does not have finrot.

The cream lump on the back half of the body near the tail could be a genetic defect. The fish has a funny shaped head too so it could be just a mutant fish that was never culled. But ti doesn't look like anything to worry about. Just monitor it over the next week and see how it goes.

You can change their water every day if you like. Just make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

He is a nice boy, looks fine to me.

Yes, a bulge just like that!
Thats the Caudal Peduncle, its normal, its more visible in long fin Bettas

uZu6J17.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, a bulge just like that! I just got him Sunday so he's on his second day in his tank. How often should I change the water to help with the fin rot? I've been using API's Bettafix. But I'll stop doing that if I just need water and it's better for them! I think my blue betta might have it too but he is so hard to get a picture of! He's super active and Red not unactive but definitely more mellow. I got the picture resized so I'm attaching it!
He's a pretty boy! You don't house them together do you :eek:?

Thank you everyone! My concern now is that he wonā€™t eat :( heā€™s eaten only once since I got him last Saturday. Today I put the food in and he swam over to it once it sank down to the bottom near him but thatā€™s it. He hangs out on the bottom a lot or his leaf, doesnā€™t swim around like my blue one.

And no I donā€™t house them together. Theyā€™re in separate rooms even lol but thatā€™s just because I didnā€™t have the space for 2 in one place.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back