April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

I did another water change last night (not a huge one, about 30-40%) and Fiji reacted great to it!
Theyā€™re definitely helping a lot and Iā€™m so glad heā€™s well
Hereā€™s a photo of him ā€œhidingā€ in his modern art piece after the change :)

Mr. Fiji is very cute! Bettas love to hide and if you get any fake plants make sure you use silk ones. Real plants are best but do require maintenance. Either way it would be nice for Mr. Fiji to have some plants to hide in.

Indeed, water changes are the best thing for the long term health of any fish :)
Is the modern art the only decor?
If so, this easily explains his shyness and I would suggest more cover.
Standard lighting on an aquarium is often insufficient for the majority of common aquarium plants, save the standby Java fern, Java moss and anububias.
If you are on a budget, the best bang for your buck for decor would likely be the multi pack of plastic plants sold for a discount at pet shops and some mega stores.
A good amount would be two or three plants (real or fake) the same height as the tank, and about half a dozen half the tank height or less.
No that's not all, it's just a very zoomed in photo haha.
He also has two tall synthetic plants, a floating beta log (which he loves to stay UNDER, not in lol), and a leaf hammock.
I am planning on getting some real plants but my local store only sells synthetics, I have to make an hour or so trip to get the real ones, but I'm planning on doing it hopefully this weekend!

Mr. Fiji is very cute! Bettas love to hide and if you get any fake plants make sure you use silk ones. Real plants are best but do require maintenance. Either way it would be nice for Mr. Fiji to have some plants to hide in.
I'm hoping to get some real plants this weekend, my local pet store doesn't have any (not even the little moss ball things) so I have to make a bit of a trip to get to a pet store that does

If you are travelling some distance to look for plants, call the shop now and order some plants and get them to hold them for you until the weekend. That way when you get there the plants will still be there for you.

If you are travelling some distance to look for plants, call the shop now and order some plants and get them to hold them for you until the weekend. That way when you get there the plants will still be there for you.
Great idea, I'll be sure to do that; I didn't even think of it

Watch out for plastic plants as they can tear the tail and fins. Do the panty hose test on them by rubbing a piece of hose over the plant. If it snags the panty hose, it can snag your fish. Silk plants are safer in betta tanks.
Completely forgot about that important test.
:look:
Thanks, Deanasue!

Plastic plants have no place in a Betta tank, If you must use fake plants then silk is the best option.

Try this
https://www.ebay.com.au/b/Silk-Plant-Aquarium-Decorations/66789/bn_60570500

Standard lighting on an aquarium is often insufficient
Please define " Standard lighting"

Standard lighting is sufficient for Java fern, Java moss Blue Stricta Vallisneria Crypts Water sprite and anububias and basically thats what you need in a betta tank, no point buying expensive lights and plants because its a waste of money especially when you put a bunch of floating plants in that will cut the light down.

This tank runs quite well under a Aqua One Clip On Touch LED that cost me $23AUD at Petbarn.

psjCwCO.jpg

Plastic plants have no place in a Betta tank, If you must use fake plants then silk is the best option.

Try this
https://www.ebay.com.au/b/Silk-Plant-Aquarium-Decorations/66789/bn_60570500

Please define " Standard lighting"

Standard lighting is sufficient for Java fern, Java moss Blue Stricta Vallisneria Crypts Water sprite and anububias and basically thats what you need in a betta tank, no point buying expensive lights and plants because its a waste of money especially when you put a bunch of floating plants in that will cut the light down.

This tank runs quite well under a Aqua One Clip On Touch LED that cost me $23AUD at Petbarn.

psjCwCO.jpg
I want to specifically get the java moss and fern you mentioned. Is my tank lidā€™s LED light sufficient for that?

I would say anubias, Java fern and Java moss would grow under about any light, but just in case, how many led are in the unit?

So will crypts,

I would say anubias, Java fern and Java moss would grow under about any light, but just in case, how many led are in the unit?
I'm not exactly sure but it's a very bright LED light, and I checked out the Amazon page and people are saying they are keeping many plants alive with it so I'm going to go ahead and get some of my own

As promised: the plants have arrived! Two java ferns and a moss ball for Mr Fiji. More to come hopefully :) (they costed a bit more than I expected so I could get as many as I wanted)
The fish in question is tucked away in his log as always ;)

Attachments

• 2A40CD06-3BE0-4D2D-8634-CDD8593E45FD.jpeg
    2A40CD06-3BE0-4D2D-8634-CDD8593E45FD.jpeg
    415.5 KB · Views: 228
  • 506C40E9-806D-4DD8-B0C8-A8EC4C9A4C7F.jpeg
    506C40E9-806D-4DD8-B0C8-A8EC4C9A4C7F.jpeg
    488.2 KB · Views: 253
Your light is bright enough for the plants we discussed above.

The Java Fern doesn't like having its rhizome buried in the substrate and usually does better when it is tied to an object like driftwood or an ornament. You can use string, fishing line, super glue or a rubber band to hold the plant's rhizome on the ornament.

Other good plants to try include Hygrophila polysperma, narrow Vallis and Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides).
Water Sprite is a floating plant that can also be planted in the substrate where it grows into a lovely light green shrub. The other plants should be grown in the gravel.

Most reactions

Back