The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Did you acclimate him to the new tank? Or drip acclimated some of the new tank water into the bag/cup he came in? He probably is at the surface because of the sudden change in water parameters. Or there isn’t enough oxygen for him. If the current filter isn’t making enough surface tension then there won’t be a lot of oxygen. More surface tension=More oxygen.
I did acclimate him, however I think it may have been a bit of a shock for him because the pet store had him in some VERY cold water :/

marina betta water conditioner

To be honest that product is a waste of money, any commercial water conditioner is fine and will work out cheaper than that stuff.

This stuff contains Goji Berry I mean I cant even think what thats for.

API tap water conditioner or Seachem prime is much better.

To be honest that product is a waste of money, any commercial water conditioner is fine and will work out cheaper than that stuff.

This stuff contains Goji Berry I mean I cant even think what thats for.

API tap water conditioner or Seachem prime is much better.
I see. Thank you, when I return to the pet store after school today I will look for the conditioner you mentioned and do another water change. I figured the goji berry was kind of a vitamin thing and thought might be helpful, haha

My suggestion is get a small bottle of Seachem prime I don't know what it will cost where you are but in Australia its about $9, and you only need 2 drops per gallon of new water.

So on a 5 gallon tank doing a 50% to 76% water change you only need 2 drops.
Check this out.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002A5WPQ/?tag=ff0d01-20

He could also do with some plants including floating ones they will also help with the water quality, I understand that you may be on a budget so silk plants are ok till you can afford real ones, But if you can get a bit of Water sprite or some Hornwort and just let it float, It will also give him a good place to rest near the surface.

A nice bit of watersprite growing like this uses a lot of nutrients and the Betta will love crawling in amongst the root ball for a rest.
Images are all mine.
https://i.imgur.com/f2Yk4OG.jpg

In fact with bettas I think floating plants are more important
This is what the top of my Betta tanks look like
https://imgur.com/CFueSFO

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
My suggestion is get a small bottle of Seachem prime I don't know what it will cost where you are but in Australia its about $9, and you only need 2 drops per gallon of new water.

So on a 5 gallon tank doing a 50% to 76% water change you only need 2 drops.
Check this out.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002A5WPQ/?tag=ff0d01-20

He could also do with some plants including floating ones they will also help with the water quality, I understand that you may be on a budget so silk plants are ok till you can afford real ones, But if you can get a bit of Water sprite or some Hornwort and just let it float, It will also give him a good place to rest near the surface.

A nice bit of watersprite growing like this uses a lot of nutrients and the Betta will love crawling in amongst the root ball for a rest.
Images are all mine.
https://i.imgur.com/f2Yk4OG.jpg

In fact with bettas I think floating plants are more important
This is what the top of my Betta tanks look like
https://imgur.com/CFueSFO
Thanks so much for the info!! He does have a leaf hammock to rest on but I’m looking forward to getting him some real plants. My local pet store doesn’t have any so I will have to travel a bit but that’s absolutely fine with me.
Again thank you for the suggestions!! <3

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Great news everyone! As of today Fiji has started a teeny tiny bubble nest in the corner of his tank AND (more importantly) taken a bloodworm!
I’m overcome with joy and relief, however I’m still going to heed the advice I received here and work on improving his tank for him.

Great news everyone! As of today Fiji has started a teeny tiny bubble nest in the corner of his tank AND (more importantly) taken a bloodworm!
I’m overcome with joy and relief, however I’m still going to heed the advice I received here and work on improving his tank for him.

That's great news! Good boy Fiji! If he's eating that is indeed a good sign. Never give up on these little guys. If you just take care of him and love him that's all he'll need to get stronger.

My little Crowntail Syd was very sick too when I first got him with no fins and a fungus. He was so lethargic and not moving for almost 3 days. I thought he had dropsy and was a goner but after a week of daily water changes, almond leaf, good food and a little salt he survived! His energy is back, fungus is gone, his fins are growing and he's a little brat! If you're interested there's a couple of threads about Syd in the Betta forum. :)

That's great news! Good boy Fiji! If he's eating that is indeed a good sign. Never give up on these little guys. If you just take care of him and love him that's all he'll need to get stronger.

My little Crowntail Syd was very sick too when I first got him with no fins and a fungus. He was so lethargic and not moving for almost 3 days. I thought he had dropsy and was a goner but after a week of daily water changes, almond leaf, good food and a little salt he survived! His energy is back, fungus is gone, his fins are growing and he's a little brat! If you're interested there's a couple of threads about Syd in the Betta forum. :)
I’m super glad he perked up! I honestly think it was just the shock of the move that got him.
And yeah I’d love to check it out!! :)

Bettas are amazing! I had one that I thought was going to die for sure but with daily water changes and a little aquarium salt, he bounced back after almost 2 weeks. I agree with the floating plants in the betta tank. I have guppy grass and they love it. Gonna try some water sprite. Hope all keeps going well for you.

Glad to hear that Mr Fiji is feeling better, just keep up those water changes, and he should continue to improve.

It might take a month or so for the tank to fully establish a Nitrogen cycle, until then, I recommend twice weekly 50%+ water changes, even more often if you have the time.

Glad to hear that Mr Fiji is feeling better, just keep up those water changes, and he should continue to improve.

It might take a month or so for the tank to fully establish a Nitrogen cycle, until then, I recommend twice weekly 50%+ water changes, even more often if you have the time.
I did another water change last night (not a huge one, about 30-40%) and Fiji reacted great to it!
They’re definitely helping a lot and I’m so glad he’s well
Here’s a photo of him “hiding” in his modern art piece after the change :)

Attachments

• 30FB09CF-045A-44A5-AD96-000C9621B064.jpeg
    30FB09CF-045A-44A5-AD96-000C9621B064.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 248
Indeed, water changes are the best thing for the long term health of any fish :)
Is the modern art the only decor?
If so, this easily explains his shyness and I would suggest more cover.
Standard lighting on an aquarium is often insufficient for the majority of common aquarium plants, save the standby Java fern, Java moss and anububias.
If you are on a budget, the best bang for your buck for decor would likely be the multi pack of plastic plants sold for a discount at pet shops and some mega stores.
A good amount would be two or three plants (real or fake) the same height as the tank, and about half a dozen half the tank height or less.

Watch out for plastic plants as they can tear the tail and fins. Do the panty hose test on them by rubbing a piece of hose over the plant. If it snags the panty hose, it can snag your fish. Silk plants are safer in betta tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back