New Ammonia Source?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ltygress

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
When I went to set up my 100-gallon I read several sources that said I should AVOID ammonia with surfactants. The problem is, almost every ammonia out there on the market has it now. Even the "store brand" bottle of plain Ammonia in Walmart has it.

I know the key is to shake the bottle and if it foams at the top, avoid it. But they all do.

So where is everyone getting ammonia from these days that does NOT have surfactants?

Ltygress said:
When I went to set up my 100-gallon I read several sources that said I should AVOID ammonia with surfactants. The problem is, almost every ammonia out there on the market has it now. Even the "store brand" bottle of plain Ammonia in Walmart has it.

I know the key is to shake the bottle and if it foams at the top, avoid it. But they all do.

So where is everyone getting ammonia from these days that does NOT have surfactants?

Ace Hardware 'Janitorial Strength'.  

Or here: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/427161-ammonia-and-bacteria-starter-sources/

Ebay also sells 35% strength ammonia purely for fishless cycling, I have used this to cycle more than half a dozen tanks without any problems using the fishless cycing article from this forum.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:78745]

Ch4rlie said:
Ebay also sells 35% strength ammonia purely for fishless cycling, I have used this to cycle more than half a dozen tanks without any problems using the fishless cycing article from this forum.

Is that available in the US?

eaglesaquarium said:

Is that available in the US?

Not sure tbh, but i do not see why not provided shipping is paid for.

It looks like Drs Foster and Smith has some ammonia for the use of cycling, too. So I'm probably going to order some from there, since I'm about to order tank stands at the same time.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back