New (again) to Aquarium Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mzoeller

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
We had fish when I was a kid, then again as an adult. I havent had an aquarium set up for 10 or so years and have forgotten nearly everything. I got a 10-gallon tank in December and slowly got it up and running. 5 neon tetras, 2 little catfish and a few live plants were added two days ago. There are also some artificial plants, with black gravel on the bottom-nothing fancy. I am hoping to tap into the sharing and wealth of knowledge here. Thanks!

Hey new to the forum and to keeping an aquarium just got 6 diamond tetras to start off.

I'm really excited about it! I hope I don't kill any fish before getting it figured out.

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

If you can, I'd suggest getting some live plants. They will help remove nitrates. Java ferns (microsorum pteropus), Swords (Echinodorus) or Anubias are all nice easy plants to start with.

Thank you! I enjoy live plants because they sway and move around more than plastic ones.

Welcome sounds like a good start. There are some stocking issues with your tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Hi everyone,
We had fish when I was a kid, then again as an adult. I havent had an aquarium set up for 10 or so years and have forgotten nearly everything. I got a 10-gallon tank in December and slowly got it up and running. 5 neon tetras, 2 little catfish and a few live plants were added two days ago. There are also some artificial plants, with black gravel on the bottom-nothing fancy. I am hoping to tap into the sharing and wealth of knowledge here. Thanks!
Hello and welcome! I was a similar case: Had a tank as a kid that we "cycled" by letting it sit for a week...ugh!
Then again in my early 20's that we "cycled" with hearty fish...even worse ugh!
Then again now in my 40's. This time I'm doing everything after much reading and learning. I came here and they helped me every step of the way thru my Cycling (the proper way). I had a super difficult time understanding all the chemistry behind it all but they were very patient and kind and helpful and I have an adorable little 6 gallon fluval edge with tiny little inhabitants and I love it very much. I still have the occasional "omg help me" and someone always does :)
Hope you have as good of an experience here as I have.

Hello and welcome! I was a similar case: Had a tank as a kid that we "cycled" by letting it sit for a week...ugh!
Then again in my early 20's that we "cycled" with hearty fish...even worse ugh!
Then again now in my 40's. This time I'm doing everything after much reading and learning. I came here and they helped me every step of the way thru my Cycling (the proper way). I had a super difficult time understanding all the chemistry behind it all but they were very patient and kind and helpful and I have an adorable little 6 gallon fluval edge with tiny little inhabitants and I love it very much. I still have the occasional "omg help me" and someone always does :)
Hope you have as good of an experience here as I have.
This seems like a great forum, where you can learn a lot.

Neons are recommended for a 20. Typically in groups of 6 or more. Even though they are small they are active in all areas of the tank. I have no idea what catfish you have. Hopefully it's a cory of sorts. Again shoals of at least four. However, even the pygmy species are recommended for larger tanks.

Neons are recommended for a 20. Typically in groups of 6 or more. Even though they are small they are active in all areas of the tank. I have no idea what catfish you have. Hopefully it's a cory of sorts. Again shoals of at least four. However, even the pygmy species are recommended for larger tanks.

Oh, OK. The catfish are corys. Thanks for the input!

Most reactions

Back