New Addition Of Fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bambi211

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey, Ive got a 60litre tank. Ive had 4 fish in it for ages...And decided to buy some new fish yesterday. I was only going to get two guppies but there was a november special 10 guppies for £10 Which i couldnt resist but some dont look that happy :S and seem to hang at the top quite a bit? Why would this be? I did a water change that day?

I know its big increase of fish for my size of tank but? I have got to filters going on atm aswell.

Also ive noticed some of the guppies seem quite aggresive? And theres one that always pics on my albino cory, why is that?

xx

im guessing you bought all males? really for them to controll there urges they need female compainions so i would advise taking them back and getting 3 males and 7 females, you will get lots of fry or you could just swap them for all females, but they could be preggers already.

10 is a big amount to add to a tank that is not that big.

your fish maybe suffocating as insufficent gas exchange is taking place, buy an air pump if this persists.

do you only have one cory? for them to thrive they need to be in a small shoal an the guppies should be less likely to pick on them.

did you do a water change before or after adding the guppies. if you added the fish then performed a water changed they will be very stressed, as my simple equation shows (stress from moving+stress from the water change = super stress).

but remember for next time, dont buy a fish just because its on offer, consider how much strain is going to be put on the filter etc.

What are the water stats of the tank, ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte please?

Are the fish gasping at the surface?

Test the water, any rise in ammonia or nitrIte from 0, then do a 50% water change.

That is alot of guppies to add to a small size tank, also as said how many cories and any other fish in the tank?

To increase aeration into the tank, angle the filter outlet to break the surface of the water, this will increase oxygen into the water.

All male guppies isn't much of an issue - problems happen when you have females, but not enough of them. With nothing around to mate with, they're a bit rough with each other, but they won't hurt each other. The behavior described in the OP sounds more like water quality than anything - water tests and likely water changes are in order.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back